Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nub Habano 460-Is it just me, or...
My first post here on StogieChat. I am happy to be aboard. I have a simple question that I need to set up with a bit of a backstory. I promise it won't be totally boring.

90% of the Cigars I smoke are Nicaraguan in at least one component or another. That's just where my tastes have always gravitated toward.

I have recently gotten around to trying a number of different sticks from the Nub line. In fact the Cain Nub 464T Maduro has quickly become one of my staple smokes.

Over the last week, I picked up the Nub 460 in Connecticut, Cameroon and Habano. Yesterday I tried the Connecticut, thinking it would have a mild element to it but expecting that since it's since it's still 1 inch in diameter of mostly Nicaraguan tobacco, that it would be along the lines of what I have come to expect from Oliva and Nics in general.

It was super mild though and very subtle in flavor and I sat there saying "Man, maybe a wrapper is 50% of the flavor after all. I can't believe this is so mild and subtle tasting" It was still a pretty, well constructed, enjoyable cigar, but just surprising in how understated it was.

So today I grab the Habano stick, thinking "Okay, this is a Nic Puro, let's get her toasted and see what we've got here." This one was only (ever-so) slightly more flavorful than the Connecticut. In terms of strength, it was exactly the same.

So I end this Tales From My Humidor installment with a question for those who have experience with the Nub line: Is it me or is it one of the quietest Nicaraguans you have ever smoked too?

Thanks

How bout an intro in the newbie section?? I disagree about your view on the Nubs. The CT is a little too mild for me, but I would consider smoking before lunch. The Habano is one of my favorite cigars out there right now. Not super strong, but no where near as mild as the CT and a lot more flavor IMHO. Give the Maduro Nub a try, it is my favorite of the line.
I can tell you that open up a new box, pull one (CT or Habano) out and smoke it, and they are a little mild.

Now, open that box, (or buy some singles) and pop them in your humi for 6 or more months, and the Habano picks up in flavor and strength. Not huge....like it wont turn itself int a Cain F, but it is darn tasty. The CT will ramp up some, but even aged, will still be a very mild smoke. the Cameroon is mildish, but has a distinctive nutty-ish flavoring.
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
(10-21-2011, 09:28 AM)Domniomaestro Wrote: I can tell you that open up a new box, pull one (CT or Habano) out and smoke it, and they are a little mild.

Now, open that box, (or buy some singles) and pop them in your humi for 6 or more months, and the Habano picks up in flavor and strength. Not huge....like it wont turn itself int a Cain F, but it is darn tasty. The CT will ramp up some, but even aged, will still be a very mild smoke. the Cameroon is mildish, but has a distinctive nutty-ish flavoring.

I have 2 left each of the Connecticut, the Habano, and the Cameroon. I will heed your advice and see what they are like in April or May of 2012. I appreciate the suggestion.
i'm self admittedly a lightweight, but the habano's tend to kick my butt. fantastic sticks, bought a box pretty much the day they came out and still have a few left. the ct's are somewhat mild, the cammy's a little more robust, but they're all great sticks. did you smoke any cigars before you had them?
Scott, i had a cigar that morning. I tend not to go back to back. I dont find that my senses are dulled if i wait 3 or 4 hours between sticks. Yesterday, i had 3 cigars: the Cain Nub 464T Maduro, the CAO Criollo Pato and the Perdomo Exhibicion Robusto and they were all unique and tasty. I can see why you would ask the question though, as a milder smoke immdeiately following a fuller strength stick might lead one to believe that the second smoke is not as fully appreciated.