Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey

FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY -- 7 NCAA National Championships

Frozen 4 appearances the past 3 seasons and National Runner-up 3 years ago.

Division 1 NCAA Hockey Playoffs start tonight.  The Nationally ranked #1 Fighting Sioux of ND will be battling Michigan Tech in first round of the National Playoffs.  Last home games of the year here so I am out for some fun tonight!

[Image: IMG_1343.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1348.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1385.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1369.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1390.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1288.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1300.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1292.jpg]

Men’s Hockey: Buckeyes Open CCHA Playoffs with 4-3 Win

MARQUETTE, Mich. – The Ohio State men’s hockey team opened the first round of the CCHA playoffs with a 4-3 victory over the host Northern Michigan Wildcats Friday in the Berry Events Center. Seniors Tommy Goebel and Jason DeSantis led the Buckeyes with three points each, on a goal and two assists, as the Buckeyes took a 1-0 lead in the best of three series.

The No. 11 seed Buckeyes (12-23-4) and No. 6 Wildcats (15-18-4) will meet in game two at 7:35 p.m. Saturday at the Berry Events Center.

The Buckeyes held a 2-1 lead after the first period. Goebel, from Parma, Ohio, opened the scoring at 6:34, as freshman John Albert, the team’s assist leader, led him through the neutral zone. Goebel carried the puck deep into the NMU zone and his backhand shot got past Wildcat goalie Brian Stewart on the short side for his team-best 21st goal of the season. The Wildcats tied the game at 15:39, converting their only power-play chance of the period. Jared Brown took a pass from Matt Siddall and his shot from the left point got through traffic and in to tie the game at 1. Freshman Patrick Schafer put Ohio State back ahead with 1:21 left in the period. Senior defenseman Johann Kroll started the play up ice to freshman Peter Boyd. Boyd passed on to classmate Kyle Reed. His shot was saved, but rookie Patrick Schafer was there to lift the puck into the net for his fourth goal of the year. The Buckeyes were outshot in the period, 7-5. Ohio State had one power-play chance in the period.

Ohio State went ahead, 3-1, on a DeSantis goal at 10:47 of the second period. Goebel picked up a Northern clearning attempt along the wall and held it until he found DeSantis open in the slot. DeSantis made a play to beat his defenseman and then deked the goalie, backhanding the puck over Stewart. Freshman Todd Rudasill made the score 4-1 when he put in the rebound of a DeSantis shot with the Buckeyes on the power play, with Goebel picking up the second assist. Buckeye goalie Joseph Palmer stopped all 11 shots he faced in the period, including two point-blank stops on Matt Butcher, who was all alone in front of the net, while on the penalty kill and the Buckeyes still holding a one-goal lead. The Buckeyes were 3-for-3 on the penalty kill and converted 1-of-2 chances of their own.

The Buckeyes held their three-goal lead until the Wildcats scored twice in the final 3:53 of the third period, cutting the lead to one. Northern’s Matt Siddall scored after a scramble in front at 16:07. With the teams skating 4-on-4, NMU pulled Stewart for a 5-on-4 advantage and converted at 18:04 when TJ Miller’s shot got through. Palmer made 10 saves in the period, as the Wildcats outshot the Buckeyes, 12-5. Northern ended the game with the net empty, but the Buckeye defense held strong for the win to take the series lead.

The Buckeyes were outshot in the game, 30-18. Palmer made 27 saves in all 60 minutes. Stewart had 14 stops in 56:55.

Each team had one power-play goal in four chances.

Wink

Have fun Tanker, college hockey is a blast!
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
Sure will.  Miami of OH was #1 at one point this year of I am not mistaken?
US_Tank Wrote:Sure will.  Miami of OH was #1 at one point this year of I am not mistaken?

I beleive so, which Carrie hated because she went to Ohio U and thats their rival.
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
THE UND FIGHTING SIOUX DOMIMATE 4-0!  Game 2 tonight!
Sioux beat Princeton on Saturday 5-1 in round of 16; and defeat Wisconsin Badgers Sunday 3-2 to advance to their fourth straight Frozen Four.

Frozen 4 is set for April 10 in Denver:

North Dakota Fighting Sioux to face Boston College

Michigan to face Notre Dame

Tank you going to Denver?

I was going to St Louis last year but had a conflict come up.
Almirante Pirata
The Fighting Sioux have been to the past 3 Frozen Four tournaments and now this year makes four in a row.  And I have been to them all.  My wife's brother lives in St. Louis so he and I were at the game.

[Image: IMG_1292.jpg]

The Sioux played B.C. during the first game.  Here is the pregame picture I took from my seat.  By the way, my brother-in-law and I were on TV after the Sioux scored the first goal.

[Image: IMG_1343.jpg]

Opening Faceoff.

[Image: IMG_1348.jpg]
I did not realize I doubled up on pictures but I took all of these images from my seat in the stands.
I love going to Blues games at Scottrade.

My ex is from the Illinois side of St Louis so I was up there and me and her brother were going to go to the Frozen Four with tickets he scored from work but wife ... never mind ... I love a good Hockey fight:?

Scottrade is more like a pure hockey atmosphere unlike the super sweet but sterile Philips in Atlanta.
Almirante Pirata