Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbi question - box pressed?
Hi all,
I haven't been into cigars too long so am still learning.

I don't understand "box pressed". What does that mean, how do you know when a cigar is made that way and is it still considered hand made?

I got a square shaped cigar in a sampler that I think I am incorrectly assuming is boxed press. I don't like the square shape so have been avoiding anything that might be boxed press.

As always thanks for the education
Tom
"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em."
Ron White
From what i understand, the cigars are pressed or squeezed for a period of time and I guess it is supposed to help the draw and marketing..lol. Its rolled the same way as other cigars, so, yes, it is still considered hand made.
No Justice, No Peace!
It's the same as any other cigar. Then after it's rolled it's pressed into a square instead of a cylinder. This makes them fit in the box better. I think it may have been started by actually squeezing the cigars into a box that was slightly too small... this took the roundness out of the cigars. today they finished products are squeeses into the square shape.

Think Padron Anniversay Maduro. One of the finest hand-made cigars... box pressed.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
I prefer a box pressed cigar, simply because it feels good to my hand. They can look nice too.
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
Good answers..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Yep, yep & yep, well said. I agree with all. I'm a big fan of box pressed stogies.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
I used to think that they were machine made. In my mind a cigar should be round.
Support my Movember team to support Prostate and testicular cancer awareness at: http://us.movember.com/team/747249

Wait till you find the oval pressed..... lol
No Justice, No Peace!
(10-26-2012, 11:16 AM)nayslayer Wrote: Wait till you find the oval pressed..... lol

I do like that cigar but find it very odd to hold. I am generally a big fan of the box pressed shape. I really enjoyed the Tatuaje Tattoo Box Pressed Lancero. That was a real interesting shape and size.
--Mike

So how do you know when searching a place like CI if they are box pressed and/or square shape?
"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em."
Ron White