Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuban Crafters desktop humidor question
My manager here at work also enjoys a good cigar. He has a couple of these cuban crafter humidors. For years they have served him well, and only varied slightly in humidity levels.
He recently purchased a large quantity of sticks to replace his stock. At first, things were ok, but he is finding his humidity level dropping.
Most of the time, cigars bought online come slightly over-humidified. However, he is somewhat concerned as he has added humidification to the desktops, but it still continues to drop.
When he talked to me about it, i mentioned re-seasoning the humidors. When he asked my opinion on that, i suggested the tried, tested and proven way for me and my three desktops....wetting a clean towel with distilled water, getting rid of the excess water and wiping down the interior and drawers, etc. Then putting the hygrometer in, closing and waiting two days for everything to stabilize, then checking....adding your humidification device(s) and closing for two more days, and if ok and solid close to where you want it to be, adding in some cigars.. wait....check....fix if necessary.....wait....check...add...rinse....repeat.
My manager then told me that in the paperwork that came with his new cuban crafter humidors when he got them that it specifies in bold print to never use the wet-wipe method of seasoning, and to only ever use thier "Activation and Maintenance Solution".
Sooooo.....
I went out to their site and researched for this information and to see where they are coming from on this. It appears that they do recommend their solution, but i cant find anything about not using any specific method to season.
All i can really "feel" about what i am reading is...."Here, use this seven dollar, eight ounce bottle of our solution (propolene glycol), instead of the 89 cent for a gallon of distilled water, cheaper method."

So ultimately, is there something special about the cuban crafters humidors, that doesnt work, or will somehow/way cause damage? Or is this just a good marketing plan to sell overpriced 'solution'??

Thanks!!
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
I don't have one but I would tend to agree with you... They want to sell more of there product.

I know some on here do not like the wet wipe method of seasoning but I like you have not had any issues with it. But on Skippers advice I have switched over to his boiling water method and I have had great results and never looked back.

I would start my checking the seals on the humidor assuming the hygrometer is properly calibrated.
--Mike
boiling water method?

Details, please? (or S.C. thread link to them). Thanks.

(10-03-2012, 01:56 PM)wtfdic Wrote: I don't have one but I would tend to agree with you... They want to sell more of there product.

I know some on here do not like the wet wipe method of seasoning but I like you have not had any issues with it. But on Skippers advice I have switched over to his boiling water method and I have had great results and never looked back.

I would start my checking the seals on the humidor assuming the hygrometer is properly calibrated.

“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
The instructions that come with the Cc humidors do specifically say "DO NOT WIPE THE INTERIOR WITH WET CLOTH TO SEASON". This has more to do with their warranty (return policy) than anything else.

Most people will not use the distilled water when they have perfectly good tap water available. Then when the wood stains or changes colors, they want to return the product. By the time it arrives back to CC, they normally have mold growing in them. Now they have a perfectly good product that can't be sold.

At least that's what our rep told us about the reasoning behind the policy. It's a way to protect themselves from loosing money.

Search the Skipper method just by typing seasoning humidors, he has described his method in at least a hundred threads. Very simple and effective method that most of us use.
For brand new humidor I wipe down with distilled water every hour for 3-4 hours close and stabilize a day or so. then I use 65% beads for humidification. No hockey puck type devises or propylene glycol. Kilt