Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some single malt advice please.
I will look for it locally.
drinking the younger Laphroaigs is like eating a pepperoni pizza without the pizza. The first time I tried it, I thought I loved it. All subsequent taste left me felling it wasn't for me.
Since then I was given a taste or 2 (or 7) by Simon Booking of the Laphroaig 30. That stuff was nothing short of magnificent. After 30 years in a barrel, the peat mellows and fades to a simple enhancement instead of being the dominant flavor.

This of course is just my own taste and I'm far form the expert our own Mr Parkster is.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
(09-28-2012, 10:34 AM)tarheel7734 Wrote: I will look for it locally.

No need ..... its on its way in the morning.

Thats what "incoming" means ....... Blush
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Ardbeg and Laphroaig are superb malts ..... and are everything a drinker should expect from an Island malt, the Ardbeg being slightly less "burning" than the Laphroaig ...... in my opinion.

The Ardbeg is a go to for an island malt for me, a superb dram that is often overshadowed by the celebrity of the Laphroiag ...... the only reason I dont drink more of either of them is the incredible indigestion I get if I partake of too much. But with an apple smoked cheese, some white grapes and a piece of apple slice thinly, a couple of ice cubes and a Partagas ...... I am one happy little chappy.

The 30 is heavenly Skipper ..... you are a lucky man ...... the cheapest I have seen for a bottle was £499 ..... $650 (ish) ...... I have paid top dollar for a dram in the Grill bar in Aberdeen ..... the best selection of malts (to buy by the dram) in the world .... the menu is an A4 folder ..... and whoever comes here to visit me WILL be dragged there for a few sniffters of very very special malt whiskys.

You hit the nail on the head when you described the peat mellowing and that it was "your" taste ....... thats what it is all about ..... what YOU perceive the whisky to taste like and if YOU like it or not. Good man.

I liken island malts to cuban cigars

With age they are less harsh, less acidic and the flavours seem to blend in to what they are supposed to be.
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Thank you, but you didn't have to do that. I greatly appreciate it.
Was lucky to try Laphroiag 25 yr and it was unbelievable but not worth $500 a bottle. The 10yr is great and only about $50.
"I do not save cigars for occasions that may not happen. Cigars make the occasion special, not the other way around."

Ryan