Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW battery in my boat
I have 3 batteries in my boat. 2 massive 8D diesel batteries and a deep-cycle battery to support the electronics.

My deep-cycle battery has been growing weaker this year (after 3 years of neglect and abuse) so I needed to change it.

Meanwhile at a boat show a few years ago I remember seeing something about the Coastguard using these new bateries. They have enormous cranking amps and deep cycle attributes (the ability to run full dead and recover with a charge-without damage). Also, of much appeal, these things were small & light-weight!

So I looked them up online. Oddesy batteries. I figured using one of these expensive batteries for my electronics & non-engine support (such as refridgerator, inverter, fans, lights, etc...) for a year as a test. If it works out I will replace my *D's when they go (whcih they are due now).

The size of an oddesy replacement for what I had, that did fine for 3 years (3 years is good for a marine battery) was about the size of a box of tissues. Hmmm... I was suspect. Eventually the guy talked me into the battery I would get for my 8D replacements. This puppy is exactly the same standard size of your average car battery. Except it has 1,800 cold cranking amps, can be brought to full discharge and recharged over 600 times, and... it is a drycell! meaning no more climbing in tight spaces every 3 or 4 weeks to put water in the batteries!!! WOOT! Also, should ANYTHING go wrong with this battery in the next 3 years, full non-pro-rated replacement. No questions asked. They begin pro-rated replacement for years 3-6! Suddenly paying $270 for a battery is making sense!

Also, the old 8d's weight about 125 pounds. This puppy weighs in at 40 pounds.

I am looking forward to testing it over the course of a year and eventually upgrading my 8D's.!!!

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

Anyone ever hear of this stuff? A drycell that outperforms a wetcell. Also, because it has no liquide in it, it does not have to be taken out of the boat and stored in a warm dry place over the winter. It can be mounted upside down (nothing I intend to do but it is interesting)...
Sounds almost too good to be true. But replacing my 8D wetcells every 2 to 3 years at 125 pounds each. Paying $120 for the battery and another $120 for installation... then having to deal with adding distilled water (these things take about a gallon of water every month or 2) while laying on top of my engines on my belly reaching with little dixie cups putting in about 1/2 cup at a time into 32 ports... man... not having to do this sounds like battery nervana!
These have been popular with car enthusiasts for a while.  I guess its only natural that they have more applications for their batteries.
Smile

lol even on the home page under new products.
"PC2250
8D replacement option for heavy duty truck, construction, and high end marine applications"

john i don't know shit from shinola on the subject but i never cease to be amazed by and enjoy the extent of your knowledge on seemingly everything. 
John ,does Optima make a marine battery? they are the best.Cool
Bluesman455 Wrote:John ,does Optima make a marine battery? they are the best.Cool

the rep mentioned these but I was kinda single minded.

In a while I am going outside to see how the charge held up after 8 days sitting idle with no charger left on. I'm sure it's ok.