Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ND Herf Day 5
US_Tank Wrote: 

Day 5 was a mellow day of football and more Texas Hold'em.   And we ran out of beer and scotch.  That is if you count not drinking the Keystone Lights in the garage fridge.

It was a more somber day knowing that all the great company and friendships would part ways yet again for different parts of the country.  Yet we laughed and reminiced about the great times we all had together.   This was the earliest evening as we finally got to bed at 1:30am.

Pictures to come!

Gunnar decided to skip his train ride as he was supposed to board on Sunday evening.  He is still here with Mike and me.  Gunnar and I drove the the other fellas into Minot this moring so they could board the planes to their homes.   Gunnar and Mike will leave for the 8 hour drive back to the twin cities while I stay alone at the cabin for one more day.

This morning I spotted my big buck and I think I have his exact route plotted.  However he changes by a few hundred yards daily and a bow shot needs to be within 60 yards.  Bobgun snapped some photos at first light of me watching deer from the deck.  Hence I will do some work emails, upload herf pics, clean up the cabin, and plan my morning bowhunting excursion.

It will be a bittersweet time here the next 24 hours as the cabin will feel somewhat cold and lonely with all my great friends gone.   Gunnar just said that this will be a tough time to leave also.  He too feels the sense of sadness now that PO, Jimmie, and Bobgun are gone.  But life goes on and we all get together on Stogie Chat.

While we are packing up to head out, Tank sees a big whte tail buck and several doe moving around 600 or more yards out there.  Oh yeah, its about 25 degrees out.

[Image: PA260133.jpg]

[Image: PA260135.jpg]

Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
US_Tank Wrote: 

[Image: NDHerfFinal005.jpg]

why do I look at Gunnar and think of Al Bundy?   "Oh Peg..."
That's funny Skipper. The hand in the pants move..[lol][lol]
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Jimbo, almost since I met you you have always reminded me of Al Bundy... It's your ring tone on my phone. Always was.
For the record it was 17 degrees that morning.   I got within 100 yards of that buck and two others the next morning while awaiting in ambush.  His days are numbered.   Gun season is almost here then he will die if I don't get him with bow first.  I will just shoot him from the deck and use the 4wheeler to go get him.
US_Tank Wrote:For the record it was 17 degrees that morning.   I got within 100 yards of that buck and two others the next morning while awaiting in ambush.  His days are numbered.   Gun season is almost here then he will die if I don't get him with bow first.  I will just shoot him from the deck and use the 4wheeler to go get him.

There were times while at the cabin I felt like that buck. Tank would tell me, Mum you could run but you will die tired..Confusedhock:Confusedhock:

Great times, Great stories, Great Friends.

They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
US_Tank Wrote:For the record it was 17 degrees that morning.   I got within 100 yards of that buck and two others the next morning while awaiting in ambush.  His days are numbered.   Gun season is almost here then he will die if I don't get him with bow first.  I will just shoot him from the deck and use the 4wheeler to go get him.

dude... you cant be serious. That's not hunting, that's gathering.

Go stalk him, even in gun season, use the bow. You have such skills, such opportunity. Just think how much better that buck will taste if you stick to your bow. Even if you decide to use the gun (which I have nothing against)... do you really want to shoot him from your deck? Heck, what's next, calling a service to go fetch him for you? Come on Tanky, make us all proud.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:

dude... you cant be serious. That's not hunting, that's gathering.

Go stalk him, even in gun season, use the bow. You have such skills, such opportunity. Just think how much better that buck will taste if you stick to your bow. Even if you decide to use the gun (which I have nothing against)... do you really want to shoot him from your deck? Heck, what's next, calling a service to go fetch him for you? Come on Tanky, make us all proud.

Uh the deck shot will most likely be 400-600 yards which the average guy cannot make and its the shot I prefer.  Kind of like sniper games.

But if I lie in wait near his bedding ground the shot will be 100 yards or less.  And if I trample into the heavy coulee cover of his bedding area this close to gun season I will scare him out entirely and somebody else will shoot him.

I spent too many years with groups of 6-8 guys pushing cover, one guy cannot really stock this stuff, and pushing cover is not all that sporting.  I like the long range shots. 

But now as I wait for him with bow, I have him within 100 yards every day I am out there but I really need to be within 60 and there is not a lot of cover to even draw the bow so if I get him it will be awesome.