Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first "stinker"...
IMHO,LGC serie R are great med. body full flavor cigars with huge billowing clouds of cool smoke and a great draw,never tight. Perdomo lot 23 is a nice mild mornig smoke with a med. roast coffee.The Perdomo habano corojo is a great smoke,med. body with some nice corojo spice.Like B-Dub said,I never had a bad LGC with burn issues.
     Thank you all for the input.  I will consider this one a bad egg, and not allow it to cloud my judgment on LGC.  I probably won't take it back to the tobacconist expecting a new one, but I may tactfully make mention of the draw issues I had with it. 

Oddly, my first choice for my first smoke last night was a Padron I have sitting in the box.  However, when I got it out of the cellophane, I noticed the wrapper was much stiffer than most of the other smokes in the box.  I put it back in the cellophane, and decided on something else.  Is this a characteristic of Padron, or the sign of another bad stick?  The reason I ask is, perhaps it is my tobacconist who is the "stinker"?  I mean, I'm so new to this and I've only bought one smoke elsewhere - How would I really know? :?
I would say it was one of two things, a bad roll or not properly stored. Plugged cigars is something that happens some times, it is a hand made product and not always perfect.
I smoke a LOT of the LGC serie R #4 maduros and have never had a truly bad experience with one!  I will say though that due to the nature of the cigar (big, heavy, oily) I like to smoke them a little drier (63%) than some other cigars.  I've had burn issues when they're up around 70% and I'm guessing this is what happened to you, especially if it was straight from the humi of your B&M where they tend to keep things wet in case of probing hands.  Try another one but let it sit in your humi and adjust to your preferred RH first and then see.  I find the LGCsR to be a great smoke with lots of flavor and it mellows well when you age them.Wink 
macallan2 Wrote:I smoke a LOT of the LGC serie R #4 maduros and have never had a truly bad experience with one!  I will say though that due to the nature of the cigar (big, heavy, oily) I like to smoke them a little drier (63%) than some other cigars.  I've had burn issues when they're up around 70% and I'm guessing this is what happened to you, especially if it was straight from the humi of your B&M where they tend to keep things wet in case of probing hands.  Try another one but let it sit in your humi and adjust to your preferred RH first and then see.  I find the LGCsR to be a great smoke with lots of flavor and it mellows well when you age them.Wink 

Good point,I like the bigger ring cigars a little dryer also,and most walkin humis are over humidified.

Bluesman455 Wrote:IMHO,LGC serie R are great med. body full flavor cigars with huge billowing clouds of cool smoke and a great draw,never tight. Perdomo lot 23 is a nice mild mornig smoke with a med. roast coffee.The Perdomo habano corojo is a great smoke,med. body with some nice corojo spice.Like B-Dub said,I never had a bad LGC with burn issues.

spot on.  the limitadas are even better.

never discount a premium (read non-cbid horeshit brand) line based upon one bad experience within reason.  work your way through a fiver first then give it a yay or nay.
macallan2 Wrote:I smoke a LOT of the LGC serie R #4 maduros and have never had a truly bad experience with one!  I will say though that due to the nature of the cigar (big, heavy, oily) I like to smoke them a little drier (63%) than some other cigars.  I've had burn issues when they're up around 70% and I'm guessing this is what happened to you, especially if it was straight from the humi of your B&M where they tend to keep things wet in case of probing hands.  Try another one but let it sit in your humi and adjust to your preferred RH first and then see.  I find the LGCsR to be a great smoke with lots of flavor and it mellows well when you age them.Wink 

Bingo on all counts.

Try dry boxing one for a day before you smoke it and see what happens.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
    Thank you all for the input.  I did end up getting a freebie from the tobacconist this afternoon - WITHOUT the carcass, even!  It wasn't even the same guy who recommended/sold it to me, either!  I simply made mention of how I smoked one last night, and politely explained my experience.  He insisted they are great, "spicy" (in his words) cigars, and swore my "dud" was a rare exception, and certainly not the norm for ANY LGC.  He asked me to take another (free of charge) and give it a try.  I found the gesture incredibly noble.  I've not tried it yet, but I will give it a shot, perhaps tomorrow or Monday. 
Great news.  Let us know what you think of it when you do smoke it.  I think you will be happy with it.  The LGC R's are nice smokes.
Nice, Pete.  That's a positive sign of a good tobacconist.  Offer to repace a cigar that was a dud, not by his fault, for nothing, shows he's more commited for your long term business than a quick sell.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]