Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Winter Smoking Solution
I like to smoke cigars under my awning, on the patio.  But during winter it's too cold & way too windy to do it.  So I came up with a possible solution.

I have a Barronett Grounder Ground Hunting Blind, in Woodland Camo.  It's set it up under my canopy that my kids got me last father's day.  I figured that would give some extra rain/snow protection.  I used 10" heavy-duty tent stakes to anchor the blind instead of the small pins it came with due it being up a long time & the strong winds we always seem to have. 

Not sure what the neighbors might think of a hunting blind set up in my backyard. Tongue

I have 2 larger chairs & 2 smaller chairs in it.  The 2 smaller chairs serve as tables and there is room enough for at least another chair or 2.   

For heat, I'm using a Mr. Heater F232000, with a 10' hose, connected to a 20# propane tank (kept outside the blind). The heater & tank sit on 12' x 12' x 2" thick red concrete patio stones.   First time using that heater was today.  No filter needed with the hose.  Mr. Heater has a special one where it's not needed & that's what I got.  The heater has a tip over shut off & also a high CO2 shutoff as well.

I also picked up a small 50 light strand of Christmas lights (LED in warm color).  They were 1/2 price at Home Depot.  I zip tied them to some of the top supports. It gives just enough light to make it comfortable without blinding you.  I run an outdoor extension cord to an outlet on the patio.  I had it already by the canopy as I have lights on it & even a cheap ceiling fan too.  During the summer, I keep the BBQ & smoker just outside the awning, but with a table & chairs under it.  Watching brisket requires smoking some cigars...I read that somewhere. Big Grin

Today was fine during the day without running the heater.  I did run it on low after dark, mainly as a test.  It was comfy & I had to open a flap on opposite sides to vent a little.  My main issue with having a cigar during the winter was the strong wind we always seem to have on the patio.

I'll take some pictures later, with the flaps open.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Wow, some set up.
Pics would be nice.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(12-26-2019, 04:02 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Wow, some set up.
Pics would be nice.

Working on it
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
A view of the outside, with the entrance closed.

Some pictures from the inside

Right now I have the heater on low & 2 flaps slightly open.  If I closed them I'd have no problems taking off my jackets.
Temps are in the low 40's. The real test will be when it gets to around 20 or lower & with wind
Great looking setup Jan. I bet that will be pretty comfy even when it gets colder.

If I can offer one suggestion - I would put a little fan on the ceiling. When you heat those blinds, all your hot air sits at the top. The little fan makes a big difference in temp.

I bought the one below for ice fishing and it works really well. It's rechargeable and runs 8+ hours on high on a single charge.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X5W3FZR/ref...bEbMT7SXYH
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
(12-26-2019, 08:22 PM)Benfishin1 Wrote: Great looking setup Jan.  I bet that will be pretty comfy even when it gets colder.

If I can offer one suggestion - I would put a little fan on the ceiling.  When you heat those blinds, all your hot air sits at the top.  The little fan makes a big difference in temp.

I bought the one below for ice fishing and it works really well.  It's rechargeable and runs 8+ hours on high on a single charge.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X5W3FZR/ref...bEbMT7SXYH

Good idea with the fan.  I do have electric in the blind, from the extention cord for the lights.  I just need to find a small fan.
Looks like a cozy spot! I'm experimenting with heater placement on my patio, and may do something to hold the heat in a little better.

It's raining....it's currently 39° (wind chill 28°)...and it's windy.  Time to see how it is in the blind.

I did order a small fan, it arrived today, but too late for me to put it out.  I'll do that tomorrow.