Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monte Robusto EL 2000
Robusto
Cuba
4 7/8 x 50

I recently obtained some of these very hard to find cigars from a well respected and experienced collector and decided to light one up today while hanging with Fish Hound.

The cigar was very well constructed with a nice natural box press and a colorado maduro shaded wrapper.

The cigar started off great.  Rich flavors of wood, earth, semi sweet cocoa.  Very well balanced and very smooth.  The cigar started to pick up very nicely just before the half way point, adding an hint of spice to the mix. The draw was a tad tight, but nothing that really detracted from the cigar.

Just after the half way point the cigar ran into a wall.  All those wonderful flavors I described were replaced by hints, at first then it became a prominent note, of ammonia.  It seems after 8 yrs this cigar is going through another fermentation.

While I was disappointed with this relevation, I am also eagerly awaiting the time this cigar will come around to the full potential, which I feel won't be for another 5 yrs, minimum, but I suspect that this cigar needs 15-20 yrs of age to be superb.

I will be patiently waiting for that day to come around [cigar]
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
Although I will never have one of these, I liked the review.  Thanks for sharing.  Sucks about the ammonia.
Actually after reading up on aging, as per Min Ron Nee, this cigar seems to be in the first maturion period... the "ongoing fermentation after the cigar has been made". "...Stronger smokes in semi plain boxes at 7-8 years".
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

great info. thanks
Thanks for the great review!

Thanks Mike. Fish and I spoke last night for about 30 minutes talking about your review. I will let these babies sleep for a long while. I already labeled them and will patiently wait for them to wake up.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I was recently informed by the man who sold the cigars he tried one a few months ago and it was great...no ammonia.  he said try another in 3 months and see then...

Now that you guys have them out of the box, they will move along a bit quicker. They were shut up in that box of the full 8 years. And I agree with Mike this is the end of the first maturation period. I remember smoking one of these OTT and going..........man, I need to live at least 15 more years. Smile

And Mike, your no bullshit reviews are appreciated, you have been telling the truth for the 5 years I have known you........Cool
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
I call it the way I see it.  No reasont to let 2 other BOTL around here have a cigar experience ruined by a maturation period.

[cigar]

MikeD Wrote:I calll it the way I see it.  No reasont to let 2 other BOTL around here have a cigar experience ruined by a maturation period.

[cigar]
Much appreciated
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore