Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moist Travel Humidor
I'm new on here and to cigars in general, so please bear with me. I am in the military and when I went to Iraq I took a 5 count plastic humidor with a little rectangular water catcher thingy, I don't know what it is called. Any ways I filled it up with water and filled up the humidor with my favorite Cohiba's. After a couple of weeks there I finally had some time to smoke, but when I opened up the humidor the cigars were moldy and moist. Needless to say I had to throw them away. My questions are, how long can I go with cigars in the travel humidor without the water thing? I want to be able to go for about  a month or two before I smoke them. If I can't go without the water thing how do I get the humidity right? Thanks for your time.
Welcome to Stogie Chat, you should go to the new members thread and introduce yourself.  AS far as your travel humidor goes, you could get a "drymistat" tube to put in there.  It is a little tube with gel in it, it is supposed to put out the perfect humididty.  When it needs to be recharged you just add a little water.  The high temperature in Iraq is probably going to be a problem.  I beleive the humidity goes up as the temp does, I could be wrong.  Somebody had a chart that showed the relationship of temp and humidity.  If you are keeping some smokes in a travel humidor for a few days, you would be ok with out humidifiction, but for a few months you are going to need something
I like smoking lightning
So what part of Iraq are you in?
"HAVE LONGSHIP, WILL HERF!!!"
First off [welcome] to Stogie Chat and Thank You for your service [usa].

Now if you are using a travel humi like this

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/m...ct_Count=1

then you may want to try something like this

https://www.cigarextras.com/index.asp?Pa...rodID=1890

As Carl said for a week or two you would be fine with out anything but for a month or two you will need something and with the heat not sure how these will preform but it's a good place to start. I use one in my 15 count humi when I need to and they work well but im not in the desert. Hope this helps. Be safe, Al
First and foremost thank you for your service to our country and welcome to our humble little corner of the internet.

To whit as a rule of thumb no humidification is necessary in a good otterbox traveldor.  The cigars will stay good for a good three weeks imho.  There is nothing to absorb the humidity in a closed environment like that so you're begging for mold.

If you're going to store them longer get a 50 ct humi where the spanish cedar / honduran mahogany will help to buffer the rh and then get some humi beads for it. 

Best of luck and thank you again.
Thanks guys, I have one of those little black plastic travel humidors that close up pretty tight, it looks like a little pelican case. Im near Baghdad, but I'm leaving in a couple of weeks to move over to Afghanistan. I won't be able to get replacement cigars there as quick as here, I was hoping I could just close them up in the humidor since it was air tight and have them last until I could get more cigars which could be a month or so.
skeltonsd Wrote:Thanks guys, I have one of those little black plastic travel humidors that close up pretty tight, it looks like a little pelican case. Im near Baghdad, but I'm leaving in a couple of weeks to move over to Afghanistan. I won't be able to get replacement cigars there as quick as here, I was hoping I could just close them up in the humidor since it was air tight and have them last until I could get more cigars which could be a month or so.
with a good tight seal you should have no worries for a month or so.  just take out the humidifying agent.
Thats what I wanted to hear, thanks!