Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MaytagMan
You guys have been in my head for a while every time a see you post, because you are about to start a journey like no other. Your main job is about to begin in training a little one to be a functioning adult in a crazy world, and you can't loose. Never having met you although I fell like I've known you all my life from your wisdom here and a pillar at SC. You guys are gonna be Awesome!

I’ve thought about my story but never told it and don’t know why today is the day. It’s a tough day being in my head! LOL I grew up without ever seeing my dad because he ran a small grocery store and worked 7 days a week, 14 hours a day. He killed himself from the stress to provide for us and lost him way too young at 51. I was 14 when you needed a dad the most. My life collapsed that day and didn’t finish school, as he would have made sure I did.

I too worked like him in my life to provide for my family and never saw my wife and Dominic much. The things you will do without and sacrifice for them will amaze you. Restaurants were a 60 to 70 hour a week job then and sometimes 7 days but never less than 6. I was driving to work one day @ 2:30 pm for a 3:00 to 2:00am shift and passed them going home for the day. Dominic was 3 then. This song came on the radio and I knew what I had to do. The first job I found was a mgr trainee at Valvoline instant oil change, 2 weeks later I gave my notice. From that day I never spent 1 day away from my family.

It was 1989 and I went from a $42000 job to $13000 and never looked back. This song still plays in my head today and gave me the strength when things got tough. I spent every single day from that point with him from 5 years of tae kwon do 4 days a week and a black belt, taking and picking him up from school to grueling help with baseball 6 days a week till he was 15. He didn't really need me much more from that age as he was finding his own. Such a proud dad and think about them every day. The worst thing was having to bury one of them but that’s another story. Words of wisdom for anyone who brings a child into the world. I share my song with them as it still brings a tear every time I hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s5r2spPJ8g

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Great story T. I guess we all have stories to tell. Maytag will experience what we all have experienced in life. You would think with our kids grown up we could now sleep but I still stay up at worrying about them.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Great story Uncle T.

Bill, like I have said a few times: "This is the best my life has ever been."

Enjoy every second.
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
Bill (Maytagman) is one fine BOTL and friend. He is the kind of guy that would give you the shirt off his back. I am excited for him and Nicole. They will be great parents and role models for Maytagboy.
Thanks for sharing T.

Having met Bill several times, I am sure he is going to be a great dad, there is no doubt about that.
I like smoking lightning
Thanks for the kind words T and the rest of you guys!

It is indeed a journey, and it is one we are both excited to begin. It is crazt to think about what life will be like around the middle of February, but it will be a good crazy for sure.

So we had the tour of the hospital, and that was a different kind of interesting... it was all going okay until they started the DVD... Let's just say that I was not the only guy that had to look away at certain points to avoid queasiness... Big Grin

Like I have mentioned to a few of you before - there are several fathers here on SC that I admire, and very well may seek advice/guidance from you... like, what did you do the first time your humidor security was breached by little hands???

And I am sure you all will get a good laugh from some of the things that happen to me... of course this very well be you laughing AT me instead of WITH me, but it is all good!

Thanks again! Smile

(12-22-2010, 01:39 AM)MaytagMan Wrote: Like I have mentioned to a few of you before - there are several fathers here on SC that I admire, and very well may seek advice/guidance from you... like, what did you do the first time your humidor security was breached by little hands???

I use the Invisible fence. When people ask me about my son's "collar", I them it is a GPS tracking devise.

Good luck
Ya know...I was begining to think there was a forum I didnt have access too, when I first saw this post yesterday. Cause I couldnt figure out what was going on, and I didnt want the first response to be a dumb me, asking what was happening....Now I think I understand. Smile

...moving along...nothing left to see here.
LOL Look at your sig line Dave! Watch your thoughts;they become words. People who have known me from the beginning know I ramble but I ALWAYS speak from the heart. My mind takes me places I don't want to go sometimes but I am an open book and have nothing to hide from my friends if you've ever gone way back and read. Sometimes shock and awe comes out"mostly after 11 or so when I change the morphine patch" LOL but most understand, laugh and go on. Others get pissed and take to there grave and that's a shame. This post is just my thoughts that wouldn't go away. Plus the holidays I get weird. er LOL

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

I wasnt thinking that you were saying something wrong....I just didnt understand, based off what was posted. You had/have information that I didn't, so when I read your post, I was lost.

Which in and of itself isnt far from reality....I'm always lost. Smile
...moving along...nothing left to see here.