Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Matches V Lighters
I prefer matches, they are the better fit for smaller ring gauges in my opinion, and perfectly useful in the case of larger gauges as well. I usually try to light everything with matches and go to my torch lighter to touch up If I need too.

But it really doesnt matter to me, as long as you dont use matchbook matches or oil Bic lighters, which I believe ruin flavor and composition.

There's my two cents.
(12-31-2009, 11:37 AM)Bluesman455 Wrote: I even use the kitchen stove,I like the torch especially for touch ups and re-lighting a cigar that went out.Sometimes I use matches on smaller ring sizes or very dry and older cigars.What ever works for you. I like to collect different lighters so I can choose, triple torch for big ring smokes,double and single torch for smaller cigars.IMO every cigar aficionado should have a single and triple or double torch lighter a single torch is a must for touch ups. I have 4 of them in front of me in the command center and in every room in my house so no matter where I am I got fire for my ceegar!!! Big Grin

I also have OCD
Me too!!!
My kitchen stove was my first torch. And I loved it!!!
Now of course there's this [Image: LG-AB-TABLE-200.jpg]
unfortunately both the kitch stove and this lighter dont fit in my back pocket. So it's the zippo for me.

(12-31-2009, 11:38 AM)Tatsumi67 Wrote: I prefer matches, they are the better fit for smaller ring gauges in my opinion, and perfectly useful in the case of larger gauges as well. I usually try to light everything with matches and go to my torch lighter to touch up If I need too.

But it really doesn't matter to me, as long as you dont use matchbook matches or oil Bic lighters, which I believe ruin flavor and composition.

There's my two cents.

100%!!!
NEVER USE THE STANDARD ZIPPO INSERT! That petroleum based fuel is horrible! Replace it with the $10 z-plus blazer insert.
Lately I have been picking up torch lighters at wal-mart for about $2.
They are refillable with whatever butane you prefer and they work great.
Plus you can afford to buy enough that there is always one around.
And you certainley don't get upset when one goes missing.
I did that for many years SS. ut I really enjoy my zippos. The guys in my club are always asking me which one I have with me today... I have over 50 by now. I sometimes spend as much time choosing my lighter as I do picking my cigars for the evening.
LOL. Started to light my GOF with some nice long matches I got with a Partagas Decadas II sampler, a breeze floated by and snuffed out the flame so I had to complete the lighting ritual with my 'ol stand-by zippo with z-plus insert. I'm fired up and that is what counts. Stogiesmile
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
I doubt that I could taste the difference and I find it's a hell of a lot
easy with a lighter. But then I've lit them with a stick from a camp
fire often also. Main thing is that you get it burning.