Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mass. Governor Rejects Cigar Bar Preservation Measure
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatur...w/id/16059

A provision attached to the Massachusetts state budget that sought to protect cigar bars from being closed or unfairly restricted by local health boards was vetoed by Gov. Deval Patrick on Monday.

"I am vetoing this section because it prevents local officials from protecting the public health of their citizens," wrote Patrick in his veto letter.

The budget amendment, sponsored by Democrat Rep. Aaron Michlewitz (a sister bill was sponsored by Sen. Anthony Petruccelli), would have protected cigar bars in cities of 150,000 or more people, such as Boston, if it passed.

"The great thing about this country is that you can choose where you go and what you do and how you live your life,'' said Brandon Salomon, the owner of Cigar Masters in Boston, in a Boston Globe report. "If they do this, they should eliminate cars and McDonald's and all sorts of other things they say are bad for you.''

Three years ago, Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino, in a controversial move, used the jurisdiction of the the Public Health Commission to order all cigar bars to close by 2018.

Angry1
LAND OF THE FREE!
Being from Massachusetts I can say the it sucks here. Luckily New Hampshire is not to far away...
--Mike
Well, since prohibition worked so well for alcohol in the 1920s, why not try it for cigars. Unbelievable. I am sure California is not too far behind.
"I will strive to live with love & care—upon the level by the square"
It's already happened in WA, the only public lounges up here are on Indian reservations. We have a privite lounge in downtown Seattle called Vertigo, but You have to be sponsored in by another member to join. They charge a 1 time joining fee plus monthly dues. This is how they get around the state laws. It's superrr nice tho, well worth the dues. It has the feel of a 1920's speak easy, so not to far off from prohibition Smile
(07-19-2011, 01:18 PM)wtfdic Wrote: Being from Massachusetts I can say the it sucks here. Luckily New Hampshire is not to far away...

x2
I really don't give a feck what the government says..I will walk down any street i want with a stogie in hand and smoke it till my hearts content.Oh,...Mass can kiss my AZZ!!!
(07-21-2011, 01:35 PM)Tommy2guns Wrote: I really don't give a feck what the government says..I will walk down any street i want with a stogie in hand and smoke it till my hearts content.Oh,...Mass can kiss my AZZ!!!

Well you seem to be in a wonderful mode today...
--Mike
(07-21-2011, 01:35 PM)Tommy2guns Wrote: I really don't give a feck what the government says..I will walk down any street i want with a stogie in hand and smoke it till my hearts content.Oh,...Mass can kiss my AZZ!!!

True that, but forcing cigar bars to close by 2018?? WTF!

"Three years ago, Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino, in a controversial move, used the jurisdiction of the the Public Health Commission to order all cigar bars to close by 2018."

How about closing all the damn McDonalds for their foul, greasy, calorie infested food....that I keep eating because its there and open at midnight!

Regular bars & pubs because they serve alcohol, also noted as a hazard by the Health Commission.

Angry1
(07-21-2011, 05:46 PM)Admin Wrote:

True that, but forcing cigar bars to close by 2018?? WTF!

"Three years ago, Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino, in a controversial move, used the jurisdiction of the the Public Health Commission to order all cigar bars to close by 2018."

How about closing all the damn McDonalds for their foul, greasy, calorie infested food....that I keep eating because its there and open at midnight!

Regular bars & pubs because they serve alcohol, also noted as a hazard by the Health Commission.

Angry1

Menino is an idiot but he will keep getting elected....
--Mike

You TELL EM Tommy. LOL

On a side note, no Tennessee inmates can smoke either. I think it's wrong and sucks for the Gubment to tell anyone they can't smoke. Unless it's dope in Cali and the other 15 states with 10 pending. DAMN!!!!

[Image: Behind+Bars+Hands.jpg]

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.