Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major Disaster in Minneapolis!!!
The Interstate Hwy. 35W bridge over the Mississippi River collapsed during the evening rush hour Wednesday, dumping at least eight cars and a truck into the water and onto the land below, creating a horrific scene of damage, fire, smoke, injuries, frantic rescuers and terrified motorists.
It was not clear how many people might be hurt or killed, but witnesses said at least 20 cars were involved.
The crumpled green wreckage of the bridge lay on the east bank of the river, and a huge section of concrete roadway lay on the west bank. Down below in the river gorge, rescue workers scrambled to help people on the roadway that now lay in the gorge. Fires burned and black smoke rose billowed the wreckage.
Workers have been repairing the 40-year-old bridge’s surface as part of improvements along that stretch of the interstate.
Rescue workers were helping some people from cars in the river onto land.
People at the scene said the entire bridge collapsed, leaving part of the roadway submerged and part above water.
A number of people were walking around on the roadway that was not submerged.
Ramon Houge of St. Paul, was on his way home from work at Wells Fargo and was driving on the bridge when heard a rumbling noise, saw the ground collapse and cars go down. He said cars backed up as best they could and he parked in a construction zone and was finally able to turn around and drive off the bridge. “It didn’t seem like it was real,” he said. Traffic was bumper to bumper and hundreds of people would have been involved, he said, adding that he saw kids on a bus with blood on their faces.
Sarah Fahnhorst, who lives in an apartment a block away from the bridge, heard a huge thud and then “the entire building shook. It shook the ground.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brothers, all my friends and family are not accounted for.  My fraternity house is less than half a mile from the site of this tragedy.  Please say a prayer for those people who were on this bridge and their families...
macallan2 Wrote:The Interstate Hwy. 35W bridge over the Mississippi River collapsed during the evening rush hour Wednesday, dumping at least eight cars and a truck into the water and onto the land below, creating a horrific scene of damage, fire, smoke, injuries, frantic rescuers and terrified motorists.
It was not clear how many people might be hurt or killed, but witnesses said at least 20 cars were involved.
The crumpled green wreckage of the bridge lay on the east bank of the river, and a huge section of concrete roadway lay on the west bank. Down below in the river gorge, rescue workers scrambled to help people on the roadway that now lay in the gorge. Fires burned and black smoke rose billowed the wreckage.
Workers have been repairing the 40-year-old bridge’s surface as part of improvements along that stretch of the interstate.
Rescue workers were helping some people from cars in the river onto land.
People at the scene said the entire bridge collapsed, leaving part of the roadway submerged and part above water.
A number of people were walking around on the roadway that was not submerged.
Ramon Houge of St. Paul, was on his way home from work at Wells Fargo and was driving on the bridge when heard a rumbling noise, saw the ground collapse and cars go down. He said cars backed up as best they could and he parked in a construction zone and was finally able to turn around and drive off the bridge. “It didn’t seem like it was real,” he said. Traffic was bumper to bumper and hundreds of people would have been involved, he said, adding that he saw kids on a bus with blood on their faces.
Sarah Fahnhorst, who lives in an apartment a block away from the bridge, heard a huge thud and then “the entire building shook. It shook the ground.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brothers, all my friends and family are not accounted for.  My fraternity house is less than half a mile from the site of this tragedy.  Please say a prayer for those people who were on this bridge and their families...
Just horrible Mac.  Prayers sent Bro.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Damm...prayers sent Mac
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I've heard from everyone but one friend.  He lives near this scene and we're all a little freaked.  Only 1 dead so far.  It really is amazing when you see the footage.  Cell phones are hit and miss right now.  U.S. Internet has opened WiFi to all of Downtown Minneapolis to help alleviate the pressure and get people in touch with loved ones.  Red Cross already has a website up.  Truly amazing what people will do. Let's all hope the best.
been watching some of the footage on the tube... unbelievable.

my thoughts are with you and your friends, mac.
Everyone's safe & sound!Big Grin  Although, we'll be suffering for a while around here traffic wise.  The scariest part was the number of unmarked FBI and BCA (Bureau of Criminal Apprehension) that mobilized immediately and were rolling in unmarked cars with low-profile lights!  Everybody locally has been talking about how scary seeing them was.  Local news just keeps re-iterating how there's no thoughts of terrorism on this one but, "they have their job to do".  Not sure what that means.  All I know is they're estimating around 50 cars went into the river.  The road was bumper to bumper and when you see those pics they look empty.  All those cars went into the Mississippi!  Who knows if they'll ever find them all...  Only recovery efforts at this point. 
This is crazy.  I know some people in Minnesota, I need to see if they're ok.
:?
Thats shit is utterly unreal, and sad.  I hope they can at least find the people that went into the river, so their families can have a modicum of peace.

My thoughts and prayers are with anyone somehow touched by this disaster.

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool