Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Madeline crystal humidification device
I just recieved a Madeline crystal humidification disc for one of my humidors.  I was going to fill it when I read the paper in it that says not to use 50/50 solution in it because it is "far too viscous" [wtf] for it and to use their own blend of pg solution.  Does it really matter?  Should I just cut my 50/50 with some distilled water to make it 25%?  Do I just need to find "their" pg solution? 

Thanks!!
well... that depends...
How much did you pay for it? If it was cheap, then go for it. If it was expensive, then follow the directions. Also, if it doesn't work right for you you may want to return it or at least have a valid complaint. They will not want to listen if you do not go by their rules.

Personally, I would use regular distilled water in anything this time of year.
ok, i'm no expert here, but i'd stick to the skipper's advice and just add water. my understanding is when those things dry up, the water evaporates before the pg does, and you can refill with just water. i don't have any experience with those in particular, but i never had a whole lot of luck with "gels" of any sort. have you checked out heartfelt beads?
I'll try just distilled water then.  I thought the pg was supposed to help keep the humidity at 70% somehow?  It is just a small disc type unit for the lid of a 75 count humidor.  I think the beads are better for cabinet style humidors.  I haven't graduated to anything that large yet.  I currently have 2 regular box type humis - one cheapo I got from a guy for $25 and a $100 Craftsman's Bench.  The humidification device was for the cheapo one - it wasn't going much above 64 so I wanted to try a new one (I don't know how old the old one was).  I would like to get a larger humi with a few drawers in it at some point, but these are okay... for now...
i actually think the beads are better for smaller humidors, as i prefer an active system with some circulation in my cabinet. i used beads in all my desktops, and always had great success. maybe a better searcher can come up with the video we had posted on here at some point in time, but there was a cool link where i got the idea for what i did with my beads. basically, i took apart the pucks that came with my desktop, removed the foam, replaced it with beads in some pantyhose, and never went back to the pg again.
I never thought of that.  Makes sense though.  I always see them in jars so I figured they would not work for me.  See what I get for thinking?  So far the gel thing is a dud [curse]
Here's a great article on Doc's site that shows the foam to beads upgrade step by step:

http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/Cigar_Journal/Do-it-Yourself/Entries/2006/7/27_Humidifier_Retrofit%3A_Silica_Gel_%E2%80%9CBeads%E2%80%9D.html