Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MEGABYTE SCORES
Smokin' catch, Skip!  Looks like a great dinner (for 12!).
OK answers to questions I previously missed...

we went out around 50 miles offshore to an area known as the glory hole. We did a total of 125 miles for the day (that's about 130 gallons of fuel at $3.3999 per gal)

We got around 75 pounds of steaks out of that fish. My share was around 25 pounds.

I've never tried it blackened but it sure sounds like it's worth a shot. I sometimes simply grill it in a pan with Balsamic Vinegar on it or BBQ with Italian dressing on it.

The huge hole in the fish was from the gaff. It's known as a flying gaff as the hook comes off of the handle in case the fish goes crazy (which it always does). The hook is tethered to the boat and when the fish thrashes the hole gets pretty big if the end comes out (which it did here... this is known as "button hole" - usually the end of the gaff stays inside)

Godspeed... I believe it may have been http://www.dailypress.com/broadband/dp-89669sy0mar19,0,2607418.story?coll=dp-broadband-headlines

As for the teeth of a mako... you kinda have to feel them to appreciate them. Consider this.. a Mako is THE Apex preditor second only to a sperm whale. A 200 pound Mako can easily kill and eat a 1,000 pound swoardfish (their favorite food). I've handled loose teeth and shown people how you can actually shave with the sides of the teeth. And the tips are so pointy that with only a pound of pressure it will easily puncture your skin (and keep going because of the sharp sides). And finally the Mako shark bites with about 2,000 pounds per square inch of pressure, has hundreds of teeth and is natures perfect killing machine. Oh, you never see a great white and a mako together... the great white avoides his superior. Heck, other makos avoid each other chancing encounters only for mating.

& I've been waiting for someone to say something about my new avatar Tongue
How'd you get my baby pic for your avatar?I like it Skipper,makes me laugh everytime i look at it.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:& I've been waiting for someone to say something about my new avatar Tongue

First, congrats on some great fishing!

Second, I crack up everytime I see your avatar--you've gotta keep it!
“I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices whatsoever.”  -Mark Twain