Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lights out!!
Well the power came on. That generator saved our ass!!! Most of our neighbors had to go to hotels becuse their houses got into the low 40's over night and are out all the money invested in their freezers and refigerators. We were able to keep the whole house at 71 degrees and not even loose the milk......one of the best investments I have made for our home Smile
Thats great to hear Tony!  We've been thinking of getting a generator -"just in case"

What brand did you get from Sears?

Anything you didn't like about it?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:Thats great to hear Tony!  We've been thinking of getting a generator -"just in case"

What brand did you get from Sears?

Anything you didn't like about it?
We got  the Craftsman 5,600 Watt generator.....worked like a charm. I was able to go about 10 hours on a full 5 gallon tank of gas running the entire house. I have nothing to compare it to but I did not find anything I did not like about it. It was not to loud, it did not suck gas, and it seemed to put out very consistent power. Overall I would give it a thumbs up Smile
When i was shopping for generators i foudn the ones at Lowes to be the best value. They are Troy built brand which is pretty much indestructable. Yo need to look at 2 numbers the continous wattage adn the peak wattage. you want a hig apeak as you can get becasue some appliances, fridge, sump pump... get a pretty big wattage spike at start up.  opur is 5500 contionous with 8500 peak. teh coleman was cheaper but didn't have nearly the peak and the Sears is  a bit more exspensive for the same thing as the troy built.
Sure, feel sorry for Tfire.  He had a generator.  We were one of the million without power for over two days.  Had to bring my mother-in-law and her stinky dog over and go into survival mode. (Grilling a flank steak in 13 degrees and no light to see what you are doing is not my idea of a good time.)

Hard part was having to shut the office doors. I'm an insurance agent and we had no phones, computer or lights. Completely dead. So it was hard to help our customers get help for claims.  We are up and running today and very busy. Best part is, the stinky dog is back were it belongs.  Ahh...life goes on.
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
Bobgun Wrote:Sure, feel sorry for Tfire.  He had a generator.  We were one of the million without power for over two days.  Had to bring my mother-in-law and her stinky dog over and go into survival mode. (Grilling a flank steak in 13 degrees and no light to see what you are doing is not my idea of a good time.)

Hard part was having to shut the office doors. I'm an insurance agent and we had no phones, computer or lights. Completely dead. So it was hard to help our customers get help for claims.  We are up and running today and very busy. Best part is, the stinky dog is back were it belongs.  Ahh...life goes on.
Glad you guys are up and running Bob (have you heard from Dea??).......the stinky dog would have been a stinky icecube at my house lol. Now the fun will begin with everyone trying to get money from their home owners insurance (I wonder if they declared the area a disaster zone????) Someone told me I can get my money back for the generator from FEMA if that is the case Smile.
Quote:[user=65]Bobgun[/user] wrote:  Someone told me I can get my money back for the generator from FEMA if that is the case Smile.

only if it was medically necessary. there are soo mnay bs rumor arund about what fema will pay for, it's the govenment, they dont' pay for much of anythign.

Dea's OK. They got power before we did. Still alot of people around without power though and they are getting edgy! (and smelly without a hot shower).
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:definately remember to drip all of your faucets. 

What's the significance of this?

And hang in there Tfire. Most of us are fortunate enough not to have to go through crap like this. Stay safe!
Usually, running water won't freeze & burst your water pipes.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...