Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest CRA News
Cigar News In Review

Cigar Taxes Soar in New York
June 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM | New York

Cigar taxes in New York State will soon be among the highest in the nation. Last night, New York's politicians voted to raise the tax on cigars from 46 percent of the wholesale cost to 75 percent, a 63 percent increase. The new tax goes into effect August 1. The striking rise in taxes is the result of an emergency vote held in Albany to keep the state government operating. The big target was cigarettes, and taxes on cigarettes will go up $1.20 per pack on July 1. The state also intends to tax cigarettes sold tax-free to tourists on Native American reservations in the state.

Restaurant Owners Urge Lottery Boycott
June 14th, 2010, 02:11 PM | Michigan

LANSING, Mich. -- Some restaurant, bar and private club owners are calling for a one-day boycott of some Michigan Lottery products to protest the state's recently enacted smoking ban. An event billed on Facebook as the Michigan Lottery Boycott calls for those businesses to not sell certain lottery products from 11 a.m. Saturday to 2 a.m. Sunday. The boycott could affect sales of Keno, pull tabs and other games.

Smoking ban starts ... Well, not completely
June 13th, 2010, 02:11 PM | Wisconsin

In the final weeks before the statewide smoking ban goes into effect, bar and restaurant owners, building inspectors and the police are finding themselves peering through a haze of unanswered questions regarding the new state law. The landscape of Oshkosh bars and restaurants is changing as owners prepare to find ways to accommodate their smoking customers. About half already can or soon will be able to offer outdoor smoking areas. As they build these areas, businesses are forging ahead with projects that are based on the best information they have.

Napoleon bans bar smoking
June 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM | North Dakota

NAPOLEON, N.D. — Residents of Napoleon have decided to ban smoking in the southeast North Dakota town's two bars. This week's vote was 263 in favor of the ban and 94 against, meaning three-fourths of voters approved the idea. Bar owners were split on the issue. The Downtowner Bar wanted to go smoke-free but Freddie's did not.

Taxes send Uptown cigar store south
June 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM | New York

KINGSTON — For the past 14 years, cigar connoisseurs could go into the Uptown Cigar Company to smoke and socialize with others who shared a passion for the stogie. That will all change at the end of the month, when owner Michelle Tuchman closes the doors to her Uptown business. Tuchman said state tobacco taxes are forcing her to abandon her retail store at 32 John St. and move her Internet business to Florida, where she will be able sell her products free from the high excise taxes New York state levies.

NY cigar, pipe smokers furious over proposed tobacco tax
June 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM | New York

VIDEO: COLONIE, N.Y. -- NEWS10 caught a couple of protests on Tuesday over tobacco taxes. First, the New York Association of Convenience Stores joined forces with several state lawmakers to demand that Governor Paterson finally collect taxes on cigarettes that are sold on Native American reservations. Merchants who do collect the taxes say the Native Americans have an unfair advantage, claiming that lots of "mom & pop" stores are going out of business. Paterson promised earlier this year that he would get the sales tax that's owed the state, about $ 1 billion annually, according to lawmakers. But they say, so far, no action.

A tall nonfat caramel macchiato with extra foam, please. Just hold the smoke. Starting Monday, Starbucks customers are welcome to sit outside and sip a while — as long as they don't light up. The international coffee giant is extending its ban on indoor smoking to outdoor patios and dining areas in California. The change was prompted by an increasing number of communities that have enacted smoking prohibitions in outdoor dining areas. Mid-Valley smokers say they are disappointed by the rule but understand its purpose.

Click here to join the CRA:
http://www.cigarrights.org/membership.htm
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
That is BS. I was just thinking out loud to myself, which can be dangerous. Could cigar makers charge retailers a price for the actual cigars, and another price for the box in which they come in? For a $100 box of cigars, charge $30 for the box and $70 for the cigars? Even if they are shipped separately and the vendor has to fill the boxes when each arrive. To get the "discounted" cigar rate you HAVE to buy a box for the cigars that you order. Thoughts??????
my thoughts? Dont know, dont care. The real question is, will I put up with this? Not on your life. I'll work something out with the internet and friends or figure out how to live off of the 2,000 cigars I already have for the rest of my life..
I bet they have a hard time taxing the reservations.

Maybe they forgot who was there first as that is the whole reason they cant tax as far as I'm aware.

Whichever way it goes, I'm sure folks will find a way around it ......... I can be a tax free tourist mule if I visit NY again, stock up when I'm in town guys, or is it only Macy's who do the tax free thingy.
Is clothing tax free in in NY like other states? Probably why you did not have taxes as Macy's. You guys all watch! The ever-marching Statist will find a way to tax the internet cigars.
(06-27-2010, 11:54 AM)US_Tank Wrote: Is clothing tax free in in NY like other states? Probably why you did not have taxes as Macy's. You guys all watch! The ever-marching Statist will find a way to tax the internet cigars.
I think the clothling tax in NY 8.25%.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Tn Tax is 9.75% on EVERYTHING bought.
Nothing is tax free, nothing. Angry

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Just love taxes........
Fear no Evil... Take action to protect those who still survive the sickness..... Commanding General of the NSCO.... The Medic