Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Land of Prometheus
I have been taking in a bit of the culture of Azerbiajan over the past few trips, you know the usual stuff, Vodka, belly dancers, cossacks etc. I have even visited a couple of museums and mosques (you knew that already), as well as visiting the surrounding countryside, some pics to come.

But this trip I was blown away.

It seems I am in the land of Prometheus. It was in the Caucasus mountains that Zeus bound Prometheus with chains, this was called the land of fire at the time (and still is, as is seen on many of the official letter heads, seals, patches on uniforms etc) due to the fires that burn from the Well of the Eternal Flame and various other's around the country...........I dont mean to take away from the romance of the area, but its due to hydrocarbon gases from huge oil reserves under the whole country coming to the surface and catching fire.

Unfortunatly, as a result of the ongoing conflict with Armenia, tightrope to war over the land Armenia took in the late part of last century, and the ethnic cleansing they carried out, I cant visit the site as it is right on the front line.

Maybe Carlito would be interested in the next God of Fire in Baku though, wotcha think?

I would maybe make it to that one, lol.

Cool
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Interesting history/folklore there Dave.  I would have loved doing that type of exploration. I'm looking forward to the pics.Smile

Be careful you don't get burned.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I'm glad you find time to enjoy these exotic but very dangerous places...

Please be careful. These people have no respect for life especially western life. Don't get complacent.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:I'm glad you find time to enjoy these exotic but very dangerous places...

Please be careful. These people have no respect for life especially western life. Don't get complacent.
Ditto, I can't wait to see those pics as well.  Safety first!!!!Big Grin
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
Here's a couple from last trip to wet your appetite. Sorry for the quality, camera phone....... and not a good one.

[Image: wells.jpg]

This pic is a result of the communists .......... 1 square mile of oil wells, houses and yes that is crude oil and sewage you see, not nice little ponds.

Get it out of the ground so we can make some money ....... screw you and the environment.

[Image: Baku040.jpg]

These girls were all giggly at us smiliing at them. What we were really smiling at was, well see if you can guess?........

The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Parkster Wrote: 
[Image: Baku040.jpg]

These girls were all giggly at us smiliing at them. What we were really smiling at was, well see if you can guess?........

Um... maybe they were Florida Gator fans and they were sitting the the LSU fan area? Wink

Either way, please be careful on your trips.

BTW Dave, are they gonna send you to Alaska to help with BP's um..."minor" pipeline issue? 
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/oilsweatrigs/oilsweatrigs.html

-.. .- ...- . --..-- /  .. /  ... .- .-- /  .--. .- .-. - /  --- ..-. /  - .... .. ... /  ... .... --- .-- /  .-.. .- ... - /  -. .. --. .... - --..-- /  .- -... --- ..- - /  - .... . /  -- .- .-. ... /  .--. .-.. .- - ..-. --- .-. -- .-.-.- /  .-. . .- .-.. /  .... .- .-. -.. /  .-- --- .-. -.- .-.-.- /  -.-- --- ..- /  --. ..- -.-- ... /  .... .- ...- . /  -... .- .-.. .-.. ... .-.-.- 

.-- .... . -. /  -.-- --- ..- /  .... .- ...- . /  - .... . /  -.-. .... .- -. -.-. . /  -.-- --- ..- /  ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. /  .--. ..- - /  ..- .--. /  - .... .- - /  - .... .-. . .- -.. /  -.-- --- ..- /  ..- ... . -.. /  - --- /  .... .- ...- . --..-- /  ... .. --. .... - ... /  --- ..-. /  - .... . /  --- .. .-.. /  .. -. -.. ..- ... - .-. -.-- .-.-.- /  --. .-. . .- - /  .--. .. -.-. ... .-.-.-

-... . /  ... .- ..-. . /  .- -. -.. /  -.- . . .--. /  -.-- --- ..- .-. /  .... . .- -.. /  -.. --- .-- -. .-.-.- /  ... . . /  -.-- --- ..- /  .- - /  - .... . /  .... . .-. ..-. .-.-.- 

Big Grin
Watch your back over there Dave. Thanks for the story and pics though! "Loose Women" LOL!
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
BP's ...... minor ........ problem will cost them millions, and unfortunatly have a knock on effect to the price of Gas in the USA, not straight away, but once the reserve has been used and the top up from BP does not come ..... well lets just say you guys should be prepared for a hike in prices over the next 6 months or less.

As for me helping them out ................ if it aint wet, I dont want to play with it .......... we sub sea guys like to get things wet, something has gone wrong if we are pulling it in the opposite direction ........ Tongue
By the way, that first picture is the most polluted square mile of land on the planet, 1,500 wells and the stink is unbelievable. I live no more than 5 miles from the site and have a few close up's for you guys that I will post later.