Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
La Gloria Cubana Artesanos Retro Especiale
I have been wanting to try this cigar for a while but did not think I would care for it as it is a lighter shade of wrapper. Boy was I surprised. This is the Cubano Vitola measuring 6.5x58. It is a bit larger ring gage than I usually smoke as I mostly smoke churchills.

Prelight
This cigar has a medium tan wrapper and had no predominant veins. The wrapper had a nice sheen but was not oily by any means. The band is the nicest LGC band in my opinion. The foot smelled of nutty tobacco with hints of cream. I clipped a small portion of the cap off and took a draw. It had a perfect draw in my opinion. Not too tight yet not too loose. It had a nice clean tobacco flavor with a bit of almond.

!st 3rd
I toasted the foot and the aroma of almonds and natural tobacco came through. Lit the cigar and was quite pleased with both the draw and the flavor. There was a rich dense smoke with hints of cream and nuts. As I continued to smoke the first 3rd a buttery flavor started to come through. The room aroma was amazing.

2nd 3rd
As I smoked more of the cigar more flavors developed. I was getting a caramelized butter flavor. It was a sweet nutty butter flavor like when you toast butter in a pan before cooking. Some baking spices started to come through. I could taste hints of nutmeg and cinnamon followed by a peppery after taste. It was a very complex flavor and great creamy smoke.

last 3rd
As I was getting down to the end of the cigar the caramelized butter flavor started to fade and the spices took the foreground. More pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon with a bit of creamy coffee. Overall it was a great smoke with hardly any burn issues. Never had to adjust the burn but did have to roll the cigar over a bit as a slight uneven burn happend, but it corrected itself.

I have learned that I don't always prefer a maduro. This was a great medium to full bodied smoke with full complex flavors. I will try to keep some in the humi when I get a chance to purchase more.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=7959]
Nice review, not my ring gauge but I always keep a selection of the lady in my cabinet.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Its been sometime since I've had one of these. I must revisit.
As Mr. Mum says "make the time you wont regret it"
2010 the year I got my a$$ handed to me from my fellow SC brothers!
I enjoyed one of these in Cubano (6 ½ x 58) last night. Enjoyed it, not as spicy as I expected, but wonderful draw, complex and cool smoking. I don't compare these to the standard La Gloria Cubano line. They are quite different.
--Easy

"If there are no cigars in Heaven, I shall not go." --Mark Twain
Great review!