Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just ordered a Glencairn set.
So i miss my Glencairn tasting glasses i had before i moved so i ordered a set so i can do my tastings the proper way when i get more scotches.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice
Champagne, Brandy, Wine... each has its own glass. Yet whisky, the worlds most complex spirit, can be found served in anything from hi-ball tumblers to Paris goblets.

It's a bit like pouring your vintage champagne into a pint tumbler or your XO brandy into a shot glass! Raymond Davidson decided it was about time someone designed a proper whisky glass...a single definitive glass that the whiskey world could call its own.

Following in the tradition of Scottish innovation, the Glencairn Glass has arrived. It's roots lie in the traditional nosing and tasting glasses used by master blenders and connoisseurs around the world.

TARHEEL, You have great taste!
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
Awesome.
IF YOU AIN'T FIRST, YOU'RE LAST!!!!!!!
I've said it before ......... THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG GLASS.

These are great Terheel, but dont fall in to the class of folk who have their heads firmly stuffed up their own asses.

Remember where whisky came from ...... stills in the hills.

All of the whisky snobs I meet make me sick that they add their snobery to something they know jack shit about and follow the latest trends.

Master blenders dont use wee dainty glasses Ari (and they NEVER have) ...... I've spent enough time with more master blenders than I care to mention, and the facts are that pretty wee glasses get rolled out for tourists in the coffee shop.

These glasses are great for nosing, that much is true, but a 1960's tumbler glass will do the same.

At the end of the day, ITS WHAT YOU LIKE that counts, I've said that 100 times before as well.

Dont believe the bullsheeet and hype of the interweb folks ....... I've lived here all of my life, and believe me ...... Malt whisky is both complex and simple ..... its history comes from the stills in the hills, not his lordships class segregation.
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
I use a large mug.
But I'd use one of these if given one full. Smile

P.s. I drink Ardbeg and Laphroaig and spell my Whisky without an "E"

(09-23-2012, 11:00 AM)Parkster Wrote: I've said it before ......... THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG GLASS.

These are great Terheel, but dont fall in to the class of folk who have their heads firmly stuffed up their own asses.

Remember where whisky came from ...... stills in the hills.

All of the whisky snobs I meet make me sick that they add their snobery to something they know jack shit about and follow the latest trends.

Master blenders dont use wee dainty glasses Ari (and they NEVER have) ...... I've spent enough time with more master blenders than I care to mention, and the facts are that pretty wee glasses get rolled out for tourists in the coffee shop.

These glasses are great for nosing, that much is true, but a 1960's tumbler glass will do the same.

At the end of the day, ITS WHAT YOU LIKE that counts, I've said that 100 times before as well.

Dont believe the bullsheeet and hype of the interweb folks ....... I've lived here all of my life, and believe me ...... Malt whisky is both complex and simple ..... its history comes from the stills in the hills, not his lordships class segregation.

“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
I agree you should drink whisky in what you like to. I am not too much a snob. Only place I really care is if someone is going to ruin a good scotch with a mixer. Thats what cheap blended scotch is for, I dont agree with ice as it numbs your pallet and you cant taste what you are drinking so leave that to cheaper single malts also.
I used to drink whisky in a pool hall that had no clue of what a "little" water meant. When I didn't ask for water on the side, I'd ask for a single ice cube. Then remove it after a minute or 2. It didn't chill the whisky that much.
As far as the glass, often I will use a coffee mug. I have these smaller mugs that are just perfect and they get used for nothing else but... They are thick too and I like that for multiple reasons. When I have guests over I break out the good "nosing" glasses. By the way, it tastes the same in the cofee mug as it does in the glass.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
Dave, you have a way with words and remember the plastic cups..Smile
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Sigh ...... I know I get a little carried away sometimes.

It's because its all very simple

It's whisky, it's not rocket science

You don't have to wear a three piece suit and have a pinky ring to drink whisky, I grit my teeth when I hear the word "connoisseur".

There is nothing wrong with appreciating a fine malt, but its heritage is with the working man in the hills as opposed to some toff in a mansion.

There is no wrong or right way to drink it, there is no wrong or right glass.

We get too tied up in what we are TOLD is the right way to drink this and that, how to smoke a cigar, the exact moment to turn a steak on a grill etc etc

What happens is that we get too tied up in the unimportant frills and miss what it's all about.

I will remember drinking a fine malt with a great friend out of plastic cups in a hotel room and I'll argue until the cows come home that the whisky would have tasted any different if it had been poured in a $1000 crystal glass
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why