Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it just me?
true, the fuente self-hype (all those ads) are a bit over the top. especially calling their farm a "chateau." i mean, you're in the dominican for crying out loud, call it a "finca." not to say i won't chew my hand off to get an opus or hemi maddie. and they do build schools and educate the kiddies. the only cigar company my existence hinges on is padron. if the '64's ever stop, i'm stringing myself up.
An interesting point that I had not considered but have been practicing. I went back to look at my collection and found that out of nearly 1,000 cigars, I have virtually no Fuente cigars, the only one's I have right now are Hemingway Best Sellers, these are an "all purpose" cigar for me. I can have them as a short or long smoke, before a meal, after a meal and virtually any time in-between.

The thing about the Fuente is that there is so much hype surrounding the different upper eschelon smokes that they almost never deliver (on the hype, that is). Nevertheless, we have to pay for the hype (those ads must cost a helluva lot). Sometimes I think it's the hype that destroys many cigars out of the shute. How can you possibly deliver when you build a rep so high that it causes nosebleeds?

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem in spending money to try nearly any cigar at any price. But for me to stock up on them, I need to like them. A LOT! And/or believe that they will get substantively better with age.

Doc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com
OK... send me all your fuentes... I'll send your something in return... Something from Mexico?
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:OK... send me all your fuentes... I'll send your something in return... Something from Mexico?

Hahahahahahaha
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I like Fuentes,But i must agree there are sticks out there that are tasty for less.Of course i'm still a tad new to cigars and am sure my pallate has more maturing to do,but i know what i like.I smoke the Fuente line when i can but will smoke connys,Cao,Padron,RP vintage mostly.My 2cents.
Tommy, have you tried any Gurkhas?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
JoeBob Wrote:The more cigars I smoke....the less impressed I am with the whole Fuente to-do.
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing like a Hemingway, Opus....and I like them a lot.

But, I'm smoking Punch Gran Puros, LGC's, Partagas Blacks, RP's, and your occasional habanos and davidoffs...and find myself reaching for the Fuente products less and less.

There's times I'm ready to go out to the bar, with a Consuega in one hand, an Opus in the other, and can't decide what to take.

We haven't had a good Rob vs. Fuente thread in SCv2 yet, so I thought I'd start one up now, because I'm starting to see his point of view.

Thoughts?
Quote:Across the board, The Punch Gran Puro, Par-Black,St louie Rey,ERDM and the Excalibur 1066 Dark Knight IMO are some of the finest out there! And I realy do enjoy the X and just recently the Anejo but given the chance to grab any stick and kick back..... its gonna be one of the first 5 hands down and I buy these along w/many others by the bx all the time. Esply the 1066 , for me it cant be beat.
[user=35]Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo[/user] wrote:
Quote:...high expectations can ruin a smoke.
I agree totally, sometimes I feel like just removing the bands from all the cigars in my humidor so I can just smoke 'em w/o thinkin' about whether I'm smoking an $8 or and 88¢ stick...
Rothschild Wrote:[user=35]Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo[/user] wrote:
Quote:...high expectations can ruin a smoke.

I agree totally, sometimes I feel like just removing the bands from all the cigars in my humidor so I can just smoke 'em w/o thinkin' about whether I'm smoking an $8 or and 88¢ stick...

You just gave me an idea, how about a bandless boxpass with a mandatory review of the cigars we take? Interesting I would think! Only the starter and the people who put would know and wouldnt tell until after it was reviewed!

-Ben
Someone did something similar to that on SCv1.0. But it wasn't really a boxpass, he just got a list of participants and sent a number of cigars to them. It was rather interesting.