Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Investing
So... i've been wondering how exactly to get started with investments. With the current "economy", or clusterf-ck, as i like to call it- i would definately have alot of research todo. I'm just wondering where to go and if its best to go through another company or do it myself. I would much prefer myself, just dunno how to even start...

tired of feeling retarded about this stuff, i want in![really]
Etrade is how i started out, and its been a pretty good in terms of FAQ's.   They also have a 1-800 number to call if you have questions about things like limit orders, etc.
i like scottrade myself.
I dont think there's a huge difference between the online places.   Some of them vary by starting packing, cost per trade, policy in terms of how long it takes money to clear from the bank to your trading account.    Just try to get a good idea if you want long vs. short term investing, and find the one that works best for you.
Start small. I only have about 1 grand in now, and it has held its own moderately. Try to the learn the ropes a little before putting in large amounts of money.

The mistakes I have made have cost me very little money. However, my mistakes times some order of magnitude would be very upsetting, so start small.
davidwys Wrote:Start small. I only have about 1 grand in now, and it has held its own moderately. Try to the learn the ropes a little before putting in large amounts of money.

The mistakes I have made have cost me very little money. However, my mistakes times some order of magnitude would be very upsetting, so start small.
i never look at them as mistakes but rather as the tuition for my continuing education. 
I just call my mistakes "The Stupid Tax"

(Like investing in Midway at $0.33/share, because I figured DC Comics vs. Mortal Kombat would bring the company back from the brink.  Oops!)
i'll be sure to study plenty, i can take mistakes- it's my wife i'm worried about
Vitamin G Wrote:I just call my mistakes "The Stupid Tax"

(Like investing in Midway at $0.33/share, because I figured DC Comics vs. Mortal Kombat would bring the company back from the brink.  Oops!)
Confusedhock: DUDE. 
If you're really serious about learning about investing then I would suggest you start by checking out a book called "The Intelligent Investor"  It is by Benjamin Graham  and is considered by many to be the most important book ever written on the subject.  You've probably heard of his student, Warren Buffet.  

Outside of that develop a discipline (system of investing) which you find practical and wise, and stick to it regardless of what your "gut" tells you.  Investing is a game with no room for emotional decision making.

just my .02