Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've been touting the negative virtues of a chiminia
But today I take it all back.

If you recall I mentioned that the deal is the heat is blown away so you need to stay down wind. Except that's where the smoke is!

Well, today I decided it was a good day to start winteriszing my yard. Wrapping up my kayak, patio furniture, A/C units & fig tree for the winter. It was cold! Next door they are building a new house and the place is littered with tons of scrap wood (mostly 2x4's less than 2 foot long). I loaded up the chiminia with this pristine kiln dried wood and lit it. The fire roared and eventually settled down to a thick layer of HOT coals and embers. The radiant heat heated the entire yard. At one point Deb came out in her nightie and we cuddled about 2 foot away with a couple of RP edges. We had to back up several times until we were around 6 foot away. Still our knees were burning! And no smoke at all!

So form a -1 rating I now give it an 8, as long as you can get a roaring fire and smokeless coals burning.
We have a couple of them of our patio and use them all the time. The wife & I will sit back there for hours in the evening and relax around them.
what do you use to fuel them with?

Personally I am favoring the neighbors 2x4's. But I'm thinking that supply will dry up soon Tongue
Where I work we use a lot of hardwood mouldings and pine 2 x 4's so I have my guys save me boxes of it and bring it home as needed. Normally, se start with the pine, get it good & hot and just keep adding the hardwood as we need it.
Good info..I keep playing with the idea.
dave, it was 40 degrees that evening. My yard was over 100 degrees within 4 feet of the thing and up to 12 foot away on the windward side, it was still over 50.

Downwind is was hotter but I couldn't get too far because of the fence (which was toasty hot)

in short, if you can get decent wood in quantity, go for it. Mine is metal. It wont break, but it will rush. I have to cover the heck out of it (and man is it heavy!)
I am very interested in this....now its getting colder...and sometimes too cold for the garage since I have to keep the door open for the most part. I do have a heater in there...but this thing seems to be a good alternative for my backyard or deck.
THE ONE & ONLY - THE LK

The last time there was a Tsunami at SC was many years ago when a young gentleman came in and EARNED the title of Legend Killer
- the Great Parkster

I don't even have words bro. You have absolutely blown the $hit out of me. No come back, I got nothing, speechless - The Shephard PO - RIP July 2007
just remember... it only works when well stoked with a good quantity of dry wood. Anything else produces poor heat and a ton of smoke. You want that firebox to be filled with hot red glowing embers & coals to push out radiant heat. Not just smokey hot air that will move with the wind.
I have an inside line on one of those Propane tower heaters that they use in restaruants (my wife had it delivered for Christmas and I received it).  Under $200 and no worries about loading wood.  I'll let you all know how it works out on December 26th Wink.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Headley Wrote:I have an inside line on one of those Propane tower heaters that they use in restaruants (my wife had it delivered for Christmas and I received it).  Under $200 and no worries about loading wood.  I'll let you all know how it works out on December 26th Wink.

those are the ultimate headly... maybe not as romantic as a fire, but easy and efficient. My neighbor has 3. Up on his second story deck. He got them on e-bay for a lot less than 200!!!!

something like this looks interesting...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MR-Heater-Radiant-Propane-Heater-14-000-btu-MH12T_W0QQitemZ260059477022QQihZ016QQcategoryZ16039QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[Image: 080a_1_b.JPG]

or this (I think this is what you meant headly)

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-FT-OUTDOOR-PROPANE-STAINLESS-Steel-PATIO-HEATER_W0QQitemZ180058053671QQihZ008QQcategoryZ10035QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem