Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.33 Average
I'd Like to Try Pass
03-03-2007, 01:31 PM
This is something that Rob & I discussed previously and kinda fits into the thread that Skipper has started.

It is an ongoing pass among the participants, most other boards that I visit have something like this in place, I have participated in them and they are very simple and fun.

Here's how it works: I post a list of cigars that I want to try, be it hard to find, out of production, or just want to try. A member has something on my list, posts what he can send, I accept the offer, the facilitator is now up and posts his list. The grantor will then post the tracking number for the package he sends, the grantee posts when it arrives. There may be 4 or 5 "passes" a day, or there may be only one, but it is ongoing. If there is no response to your posted list, you simply add more choices until someone can fullfil the list.

I would suggest but by no means make it mandatory that you list 10 cigars, 5 being high cost and 5 being med/low cost, that way you have a better chance of allowing everyone to participate. You may get a response that all on your list can be sent or only 2 or 3 , but you will still get something you are looking to try.

Just for clarification, here is how it will work:

I post a list of ten items, person A posts he can send me # 1,3,5,8. I accept and person A now posts a list and ships his cigars to me, person B responds to A's list and so it continues. You cannot post a list until you fulfill someone elses list. Pretty simple.

So set's hear some feedback! 
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2007, 01:34 PM
sounds awesome bob.  stickied. 
03-03-2007, 09:45 PM
bob you thought it up so you post your wish list first and let's see if we can get any takers to kick this thing off.
03-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Ohhh I have seen this before. Smile MAW/PIF
03-03-2007, 10:39 PM
RJT I just figured out what MAW/PIF meant. And this is more Make A Wish than Pay it Forward. Most of the boards I visit have something similar to this, I have participated and enjoyed them. With such a small board as we have here, PIF is pretty much a given, but nothing like MAW exists on a regular basis. I think it's a great idea.
03-03-2007, 11:04 PM
I have seen it done a few different ways. The MAW (Make A Wish) type is pretty easy and fun. The main thing is for people not to get hung up on the value of the cigars too much. What I mean by that is if person (A) grants person (B) wish and he grants 3 medium priced smokes to (A) but he ask for 3 expensive sticks and people thinks it not fair. Remember it is (make a wish) You are correct in that people need to think about what they wish for and be resonable in the wish. Keep it at a few of each in your wish.

Example:

1. Quintero Brevas

2. RYJ Caz

3. Siglo VI

4. Party Short

5.  Diplo #2

6. Don Pepin ( anything)

7. FF Opus X

8. Ashton ESG

03-03-2007, 11:14 PM
I agree, there are 2 or 3 different versions, I think this one is the simplest I've seen.  And they are a lot of fun.
03-03-2007, 11:17 PM
discdog Wrote:I agree, there are 2 or 3 different versions, I think this one is the simplest I've seen.  And they are a lot of fun.
Sounds like the only thing left is for you to MAW and get it started.
03-03-2007, 11:29 PM
RJT Wrote:I have seen it done a few different ways. The MAW (Make A Wish) type is pretty easy and fun. The main thing is for people not to get hung up on the value of the cigars too much. What I mean by that is if person (A) grants person (B) wish and he grants 3 medium priced smokes to (A) but he ask for 3 expensive sticks and people thinks it not fair. Remember it is (make a wish) You are correct in that people need to think about what they wish for and be resonable in the wish. Keep it at a few of each in your wish.

Example:

1. Quintero Brevas

2. RYJ Caz

3. Siglo VI

4. Party Short

5.  Diplo #2

6. Don Pepin ( anything)

7. FF Opus X

8. Ashton ESG

Excellent idea RJT, never thought to add an example. And you're right, I'll post my list.

Thanks!
03-03-2007, 11:40 PM
OK here's my wish list:

LFD - Coronodo - any

Monbacho - any

Drew Estates Liga Privada #9

Don Pepin Black label 1950

Tatuaje Reserva J21

Cohiba VI

Partagas 150