Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hygrometer Calibration (Certified)
If anyone is interested....

If you do not feel like calibrating your own hygrometer using salt or the boveda I have a gentleman that is an engineer and scientist, he has a lab with a humidity chamber that will calibrate your hygrometer "exact" and send it back adjusted with a certificate of calibration.

He charges $6 each

(He is a B.O.T.L. as well. I have gotten to become friends with him and he is a super great guy).

Then when you get it back just adjust all your other hygrometers to the one you had sent in.

I'm not sure if anyone can read the information of contact off the certificate, so contact me for his info if you have interest. I am glad to pass on good info to my BOTL here at SC.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
Ummm... Does that say it was calibrated to 36 %!??
StogieChat's Resident Classic Truck Restoration Amateur.

--Graham
how can you calibrate something "exact" if it has a 2-3% variance?
--Mike

You are right, then it is just "slightly" off.

And
GMJ, Let me ask him about that, I had bought one from him in the past and my certificate dosen't say that, I think maybe the certificate I had posted was for a different application. Not sure, let me ask him.

(09-29-2012, 09:09 AM)wtfdic Wrote: how can you calibrate something "exact" if it has a 2-3% variance?

To be GOV licensed a lab has to state on the cert the temp and humidity of "the room" that the machine was in. It has nothing to do with what goes on "inside" the machine. I know this is confusing, but hey it is the U.S. GOV.

He places about 20 hygrometers "inside the machine", inside the part that looks like a big plexi-glass tube, then he tests the humidity, at (for example) 20%, 40% ,at 60% , at 70%, at 80% ,....ect.. ect..

(The company that makes this machine also makes parts of the spacesuits for NASA).

...He tests all through the range about 20% to 90% to see if if it accurate at all humidity levels. Yes he will set it at 70%, he is a BOTL and understands 70%

I am sure if you ask him nicely he can click the little dial on your ajustable hygrometer and set it to 65% when the machine is at 65% so you can know your Cubans are in "closely" in order. : )

Anyway, he charges just $6 to do this if you are interested, if not just use the boveda salt for $6

(09-29-2012, 07:57 AM)GMJager Wrote: Ummm... Does that say it was calibrated to 36 %!??