Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humidor Wipe or not
When i got my first humidor i wiped down the inside with distilled water. I've read some in favor of this method, and i've read that you just could put a tray of water in it to speed up the humidification process. I think someone else here nuked the water beforehand.. I have a new Treasure Chest coming today and need to get the ball rolling. Going to be very busy soon. Thanks
No Justice, No Peace!
Here is some info Don aka Bluesman posted on the subject a while back:

Wipe down the whole inside of your humidor with distilled water with a new sponge or wash cloth,it will soak in fast then re-apply about a half hour later and repeat an hour later then again a couple hours later,close humidor overnight,wipe down again the next day once or twice leave overnight,then put you beads in a container and spray with distilled water just until they turn clear (no standing water) put in the hygrometer and leave overnight,check reading in morning and you should be all set to add your cigars.

This is just a guide line off the top of my head based on my experience,look here for more info...

SEASONING A HUMIDOR
It takes time, patience and a little know-how to get a new humidor ready to hold cigars. You're trying to recreate the tropical environments where most cigars are made, and you can't rush the process. Putting cigars into a dry humidor can ruin good smokes.
Most humidors have an interior made of untreated Spanish cedar, the preferred wood for humidifying and aging premium cigars. The wood needs to be humidified, or seasoned, before the box is ready to hold cigars. (Some humidors have varnished or finished wood interiors that don't need to be seasoned.)
Take a new sponge -- make sure it is unscented and free of soap -- and wet it with a liberal dose of distilled water. Wipe down all the exposed wood, including any trays and dividers, and the interior lid. Avoid using a paper towel or a fraying cloth; these will literally leave a paper trail on the wood. After you've wiped down the wood, squirt the sponge with more distilled water, then place it inside the humidor on a plastic bag -- to avoid direct contact with the wood -- and close the lid.
Next, prepare your humidification device according to the manufacturer's instructions. Unless the manufacturer specifically states that you can use tap water, use only distilled water. Tap water contains minerals that will destroy most humidification systems by leaving deposits that will clog the humidor element. Once the humidification element is filled, be sure to wipe it down to remove all the excess water. Rest it on a hand towel for approximately 30 minutes.
Close the humidor with its humidifying element and the damp sponge, and leave it overnight. The next day, refresh the humidification device (it may not need it) and check the sponge. If it is fairly dry, add more distilled water. If it is very damp, leave it alone.
Let the humidor sit another night, and then remove the sponge and plastic bag. The walls of the humidor have now absorbed all the water they need, and now you can safely store your cigars.
THINGS NOT TO DO
Most of the time, if you let cigars dry out, you have to write off your investment as a learning experience, albeit sometimes an expensive one. In some cases, cigars can be reconditioned through weeks in a good humidor, but it's a tricky business, and best left to someone with great patience and experience. If you insist on trying to do it yourself, proceed slowly. Over a period of several weeks, gradually move the cigars from the outer corners into the center of your humidor.
All of the other myths about how to restore dried-out cigars are just that -- myths. Remember that a cigar has many layers of tobacco. It's disastrous for the various layers to become moist or dry out at different rates. For example, if a cigar is placed in a hyper-moist environment, and then taken out of that moist environment, the outside dries and shrinks while the inside is still swollen, and the cigar splits open. (Not a pretty sight.)
Here are some of the odder suggestions we've heard. Don't try them. EVER.
* Put your cigars in the bathroom and run the shower until the hot water gives out.
* Steam them in the upper rack of a dishwasher.
* Sneak them into the steam room at the health club

read more here....

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_...49,00.html
I would wipe it down with a slightly dampened rag. This will not only help to begin the seasoning, but eliminate a ton of manufacturing dust. This dust will negatively affect the seal if on the door.
Do not do it with too wet a rag, it will stain the wood.
The idea of warming the water first was mine which I came up with many years ago and everyone seems to have adopted and most don't know why.
Water turns to vapor in a process known as evaporation. This requires energy (which is why when you sweat it cools you down as energy is consumed). In active humidification the energy is bumped up with fans. (The energy here is actually momentum as air particles collide with the waters surface) A great & common source of energy is heat. Heat the water and it readily evaporates (evidenced by the steam rising off of your morning cup of tea of coffee). You can use a microwave or just heat it on your stove. Use a cup not to be included in your everyday humidification and any water is suitable as the water will not come into contact with the wood of your humidor or your humidifier, only the water vapor.
Just remember, no matter what ANYONE says on the subject, it is nothing short of laughable to assume that only water can evaporate from common water unless it is super heated (over 212 degrees) or has another energy source available. Certainly nothing found in drinking water can do so before the water. This is evaporation not vaporization which requires considerable more energy at specific frequencies (such as in a cold-steam humidifier you may use in your kids room when they have a cold).
So, in short, wipe it down with a slightly dampened rag (this MUST be distilled water as tap water will introduce living organisms which you will regret in the future). Continue to do so until you do not pick up any more dust. Put in a warm cup of water (use a cup or a glass, not your humidification puck or whatever you are using), close it. Reheat the water every few hours. After 24 to 48 hours begin to monitor the humidity without the heated water. While this is going on, your humidifier (assuming it is passive) should be charged (loaded with distilled water) and in the humidor. With the warmer water in the humidor it will probably not lose any moisture at all. When the humidor seems to hold it's humidity for 24 hours without excessive measures, and no drop in humidity, add a few cigars. If after another 24 hours it is ok, then go ahead and fill it up.
Sounds good John, ok who's got the next question? lol
Heart 
Ha, thanks for everyone's input..I even appreciate the sarcasim. Just got my treasure chest and need to get it ready.
No Justice, No Peace!
I'm so glad we got the science lesson from the Skipper too Wink good advice though. I don't think I've ever tried the heated method... maybe we'll have to add that into our manual lol.
I came up with this idea over 10 years ago. It's all over the net now. It can shave many days off of the seasoning process. When I did my cabinet, I had 6 coffee cups (2 on each shelf) and a large bowl (on the bottom) of hot water in it at any given time.
It was ready in 4 days.

One thing I need to emphasize, regarding all things humid, as I have said before, we use RH. The R stands for relative. The humidity is relative to the temperature. Unless you maintain a stable temperature you will have issues with your humidity and probably your cigars. The number isn't too important, but do not allow wild swings. And as far as that number goes, keep it below 74 and above 64. Daily swings should not exceed 3 degrees.
I don't feel the need to change. I wipe it down and put a small cup of distilled water in it
and leave it alone over night. Repeat. Then stock and add a puck and cup of beads.
Mine holds right about at 65%
I did the boiling water last night also. I just had some concerns with the boiling water cup being almost directly over a shelf. I thought it may cause the shelf to warp a bit
No Justice, No Peace!
(12-17-2009, 12:22 PM)nayslayer Wrote: I did the boiling water last night also. I just had some concerns with the boiling water cup being almost directly over a shelf. I thought it may cause the shelf to warp a bit

I haven't boiled the water but I suppose it might penetrate real well.
I just use a jug of distilled water from the market and wipe it down
at room temp. Seemed to work good for me.
(12-17-2009, 12:22 PM)nayslayer Wrote: I did the boiling water last night also. I just had some concerns with the boiling water cup being almost directly over a shelf. I thought it may cause the shelf to warp a bit

I haven't boiled the water but I suppose it might penetrate real well.
I just use a jug of distilled water from the market and wipe it down
at room temp. Seemed to work good for me.