Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humidor Locker Question
For those of you who frequent a lounge that offer humidor lockers, I have a question...

To preface: One of the local tobacconists that Dave and I frequent has finally decided to put in a cabinet of lockers, which I assume will require a nominal monthly rental fee for those interested. Speaking with the owner yesterday, I was taken back when he informed me his lockers would have no central humidification; Each unit would be sealed off from all the others (no holes in the back), and it would be the responsibility of the renter to add humidification and maintain the RH%. When I questioned him about it, he said it's to avoid widespread infestation should someone bring in a cigar that has beetles in it.

I've rented a locker at a lounge that has since closed. The one I rented had an active humidifer for the entire unit, which was maintained by the shop owner. It had two 3-inch holes in the back of the locker that allowed for humidified air to reach each locker, not to mention these holes were handy in accommodating bottles as you could put the bottle necks through the holes.

My question is, what are the lockers at your lounge like? Have you ever heard of this? I just assumed any cigar locker was humidified centrally, but I wanted to check with everyone before I dismissed this as another half-assed idea from my local tobacconist.
The thoght that popped into my mind was that the owner was removing that potential liability should he not maintian the system, etc. If it is your responsiblity to maintain the humidity, you can't complain if they dry out. Heck, maybe that will convinve people to come in to the store more often?

The infestation is a point that makes sense too imho... Seeing how some people keep their cigars, even in my little local area, I would never want to have my stock anywhere near them....

Bottom line for me would be price vs. convenience.

I kinda like the central humidification. Having said that, there is always the issue with how far from the humidifying source your locker is or how close. I guarantee your humidity will be high or low and not likely to be perfect.
As far as the beetles, I guess having them sealed off would help, but again, no guarantee. I myself keep a beetle trap in all my lockers. I consider it dumb not to.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
Sounds like he is trying to avoid a liability issue down the road. I have yet to see a shop maintain the lockers properly and Skipper is correct when he said it's all about location.

If he keeps the lockers in the walk in, you may be fine, but out in an open store, your chance of maintaining the proper humidity will be almost impossible unless you are there every day or two (which I'm not saying is a bad idea but why use a locker then?).

As for the beetles, have you ever seen how small those little &%#$@&& are? They can get into anything they want to so a trap or minimal storage would be a must. (See above).

I've had lockers at a couple of shops for years, with no problems, but I frequent them fairly often and don't keep near as many in them as I used to. All have their own passive system.