Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humidity too high. Help!
I hope your not depending on the analog hygrometer, mostly for show.
No Justice, No Peace!
GZ,

Glad to have helped, I know that feeling of panic of worrying that your sticks that you paid good money for may swell and crack (or just not smoke correctly).
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
(09-21-2012, 10:22 PM)GeeRawkz Wrote: I really need to get a few digital hygrometers since maintaining 4 different humidors at the moment but good news is prior to bleeds RH was around 74% and now thankfully at 68% which is glorious! Haven't found a squishy cigar yet so very happy! Thank you for all your help!

What region of the country are you in?
Has the ambient humidity of the room changed much?
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
Skipper,

GZ is in FL.
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
Here's the thing... IF the beads are actually responsible for lowering the humidity (& this is a HUGE "if") then it can only be affective for a short period of time.
There is no such thing as magic unless Mario is doing it. If the beads are condensing water vapor into water... where is the water going? Are the beads absorbing it? If so, how much can they absorb? At what point do they become saturated or equal to the humidity in the humidor and stop being affective. Then what? How do you dry them out to put them back in to do their work again?
If this is actually working it can only for for a few weeks at best. A small bowl (a shot glass) with some table salt in it will work much better. The science of salt attracting water is verified and you can toss and replace the salt every few days at practically no cost. Or, even better a few grains of damp-rid. And this can be rejuvenated by putting the wet crystals in the oven for 30 minutes at 200 degrees (or just replace for not much more than the cost of table salt)

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
The Heartfelt Industries beads do give off and absorb water vapor to maintain a specific RH, and can be dried out if necessary. I can't speak for any other beads/products/etc. Other than the Aristocrat, all of my dektops, etc. all have the Heartfelt beads and I have been very pleased with their performance over the past several years.

(09-24-2012, 08:50 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 10:22 PM)GeeRawkz Wrote: I really need to get a few digital hygrometers since maintaining 4 different humidors at the moment but good news is prior to bleeds RH was around 74% and now thankfully at 68% which is glorious! Haven't found a squishy cigar yet so very happy! Thank you for all your help!

What region of the country are you in?
Has the ambient humidity of the room changed much?

I am in Miami, Florida so humidity tends to remain relatively high unfortunately. But I have been monitoring the beads and have a back up set to replace the current set with when they are drying out.
From everything I understand about how humidity can be reduced (chemically, we aren't dealing with electronic or mechanical dehumidifying systems here) if the beads are good at humidification they aren't going to be good at dehumidifying. That's just basic science. In order to pull water vapor from the air they need to have the correct molecular configuration. In simple terms they need to want to bond with H2O. If they are good at that, good at bonding with water, then how can the beads be good at humidifying? Their chemistry doesn't change just because of the ambient humidity.
The best they can hope for is to hold their surface humidity at the engineered percentage and this could average your ambient humidity lower to something in the middle. If you get any other result there is something else going on. It's not the beads.
What the beads are good at is not releasing any additional water vapor when the humidity is high. They accomplish this by a swelling of the otherwise porous membrane thus retarding the available water. If someone has something that proves me wrong, I'd be very interested in seeing it. Not so much results, but some explanation of how it is working. As I said before, I believe the results are due to something else.

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
I am certainly by no means a chemist nor scientist of any type - I do know that the Heartfelt Beads are the same type of humidfication that is used in a lot of museums, archives, etc. I did a little poking around, and similar products are sold under the ProSorb and AtrSorb names.

Here is a link with some of the science behind them --> http://www.artsorbonline.com/tech/

So in the latest check, the top of the humidor reads as follows:

With the bottom of the humidor reading:

Thankfully I keep the better cigars at the bottom, which achieved the targeted 65%. With the top portion of the humidor being at 60% should I add distilled water to the heartfelt tube on top to bring that percent level up some or leave it as is. I guess I am wondering if any real down sides to having the top portion cigars at 60%. My fear is if I try adjust the humidity level on the top, it might throw everything out of wack again, which would just be a headache! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all again!