Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humidity too high. Help!
(09-14-2012, 04:32 PM)GeeRawkz Wrote: Just to clarify the solution claims to maintain at 70% RH which I think is similar to what beads would do depending on the RH type you buy

It lies... They only way you are going to lower humidity is to have something to absorb it. A solution that is 95% water (I don't know I am guessing) will not absorb humity. It may not add any bit it will not absorb. The only thing that will absorb humidity is something with less humidity than what is present. You are better off putting a dry humidifier in there and if the problem is that bad change it regularly.

It's the exact opposite of trying to humidity. When you are humidifying you add moisture until the desired level is absorbed. To dehumidify you have to remove it meaning it needs to get absorbed by something else.
--Mike

The Heartfelt-style beads are the way to go with passive humidification imho... THey have to ability to regulate by both giving and absorbing humidity to the desired level. If you are over by quite a bit, put the beads in dry and they should bring it back down to the correct level - just be sure to use enough.

And more surface area of bead exposure = better, so a shallower container (and thus larger in circumferance) works much better.

I used heartfelt 70% beads when I lived an hour north on Manhattan where the humidity was "very high" (maybe 90%). I was using an igloo cooler with ceder boxes stacked inside and the beads were split into about 7 nylon ankle stockings that were tied at the top (sort of like small bean bags). Then I bought a small battery powered febreeze ariator which used two AA batteries and I just took the fragrance pack out, this circulated the air. The fan would come on about every 10 minutes.

I NEVER had a problem with my humidity going to high or too low.

(09-14-2012, 04:49 PM)MaytagMan Wrote: The Heartfelt-style beads are the way to go with passive humidification imho... THey have to ability to regulate by both giving and absorbing humidity to the desired level. If you are over by quite a bit, put the beads in dry and they should bring it back down to the correct level - just be sure to use enough.

And more surface area of bead exposure = better, so a shallower container (and thus larger in circumferance) works much better.

“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
Just ordered 2 extra large 65% RH heartfelt industry tubes one for above and one for below the trays.

I figure since needing to bring the RH down I should just put them directly into humidor without any distilled water in them and that will hopefully do the trick!

Thank you all for your help!
:omg:

let me know how that works out for you.

By the way, the PG solution will NOT reduce humidity. The PG simply retards the evaporation of the water and will pretty much stop at 70 but not reabsorb any water at humidities above the target percentage.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
Will do! Thank you for PG solution clarification. Should be receiving Heartfelt beads in next few days, so I will let you know how they work!
Finally got the heartfelt industry tubes today and tossed into standing humidor with cigars, hopefully they work to get humidity down to 65%

Here is a pic of the medium tube in top tray:

And the large tube in the space below the 2 trays:

Great, I think that will do the trick, "if" not then just add a bit more. That looks like a pretty good sized humi. Looks good.

I always buy the beads by the pound, I myself am going to have to get some more, I think I left mine at my friend's house in Europe with my Montecristo and Cohiba ash trays. I prefer the nylon sacks that they sell at different places, I guess Petsmart has some that you can use for the media. 99 cents each. I like them because you can spread the beads out a bit more then the tubes (more surface area).

I know a pound is about $32, but once you you purchase it once you have the security of knowing that your cigars are safe.

I don't think you will have to use any distilled water, as someone else had said (I'm too lazy to scan back to see who said it).

Heartfelt also has the 65% sheets.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)

Do you have a digital hygrometer? or just the old fashioned one I see in the bottom?

I am in anticipation to see what your humidity is reading at now after adding the beads????
I really need to get a few digital hygrometers since maintaining 4 different humidors at the moment but good news is prior to bleeds RH was around 74% and now thankfully at 68% which is glorious! Haven't found a squishy cigar yet so very happy! Thank you for all your help!