Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humidity
I have had my humidor up and running for about 6 months now.  I had been doing pretty good keeping my humidity around 70% give or take a few.

Suddenly my humidity is dropping like a rock, from 70 down to 60 in 2 days.  I have opened up my humidifier, added the H2O etc.

The only thing I can think of is that it is super hot in Ontario Canada right now[7up] and my air conditioning has been running non stop for 5 days.  Could this be causing the humidity to be sucked out?

Any [help]would be appreciated.
I don't think it's your air conditioner unless the seal on the humidor is gone. Here in Florida, my air conditioner runs a lot 8 or 9 months out of the year and my humidor is fine.

I think your seal is busted.

[pirate2]
Hmmm, could be, I guess I will moniter it for a few more days and if it keeps getting worse then I have an excuse to buy a bigger humi
crowb8 Wrote:I don't think it's your air conditioner unless the seal on the humidor is gone. Here in Florida, my air conditioner runs a lot 8 or 9 months out of the year and my humidor is fine.

[pirate2]
Interesting.....Crowb8.....could it be that your humi in Florida is "accustomed" to the "humidity drain" from your AC, while IamC's humi is not (having just been exposed to the heat/AC recently)?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Tonto, are you suggesting that the A/C may be the problem and i should not throw the baby out with the bath water yet?

Do I require patience to rectify this or can I do something?
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
crowb8 Wrote:I don't think it's your air conditioner unless the seal on the humidor is gone. Here in Florida, my air conditioner runs a lot 8 or 9 months out of the year and my humidor is fine.

[pirate2]
Interesting.....Crowb8.....could it be that your humi in Florida is "accustomed" to the "humidity drain" from your AC, while IamC's humi is not (having just been exposed to the heat/AC recently)?
HHmmm. Well, just maybe. I know in January when the temperature drops below 60 degrees and I have to turn the heat on, I do notice the Oasis running more often in the humidor. I believe the heat hurts the humi more than air conditioning. [pirate2]
IamCanadian Wrote:Tonto, are you suggesting that the A/C may be the problem and i should not throw the baby out with the bath water yet?

Do I require patience to rectify this or can I do something?

When I run the AC for any extended period of time...I do notice that I have to refresh my beads & COs a little more often. The AC sucks humidity out of the air...and also wood too. You could be losing some humidity that way.

And...just asking....are you sure the hygrometers are acuate?

However....any excuse to get a new LARGER humi is a good one! Tongue Big Grin  And, of course, its never good to leave a humi empty! Wink
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
crowb8 Wrote:
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:

[pirate2]
HHmmm. Well, just maybe. I know in January when the temperature drops below 60 degrees and I have to turn the heat on, I do notice the Oasis running more often in the humidor. I believe the heat hurts the humi more than air conditioning. [pirate2]

Could be :?  I think the heated air would have less humidity than the room air(IMHO...I've been out of school too long to remember the exact answer Tongue)

....We need Skipper here to answer that.....he's an expert with humidity.

[doh]I'm glad one of us here is still thinking at this hour! Thanks to you Tonto - of course check your hygrometer first! Damn, why didn't I think of that!

Also, if you have an Oasis, be sure it's plugged in! [doh]

Dan [pirate2]
     My experience this Summer has been similar to Tonto's.  Granted, I've not have the 10% swings that Iam Canadian is experiencing.  I recently moved, and my new home has central air, which has been set at 72-degrees these past few weeks (hot up here in the Northeast - FINALLY!). 

I used to have issues with high humidity/high temperature in the Summer, and kept my humidors in the basement of my old house.  Last week, I had to add two gel humidifiers to my 120-count desktop, as the humdity wouldn't break 64%.  I blame the a/c .