Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you extend your WiFi range?
A pastor at our church asked my son & I if we knew how to extend the wifi they have, so that anyone in their Fellowship Hall, could use it.  They're an old & poor choice, so money spent is a big issue.

The pastor is a good guy, not really into tech though. 

The router is upstairs, in his private office, at the rear & off to the side of the lobby.  The office was added to the structure at some point & does not have anything underneath it, except concrete & dirt.  

The Fellowship Hall is downstairs, below the sanctuary.  There is a kitchen in the rear of the hall, on the same side the=at the office, upstairs is on.

Anyway, the wifi signal dies around the kitchen & does not go out into the fellowship hall area (approx  40' x 80')

What would be the easiest/lowest cost way to extend the coverage, so that anyone in the hall could use the free wifi?

Would something like this be best? 
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX7300.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D6JEMWS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1G2S6EYZZM1XF&coliid=I2B463Y59LKBTY&psc=1 

If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
The less expensive model in the amazon link you posted seems to be favored by Tom's hardware. However, I never had much luck with range extenders. What router are they using now? 2.4 ghz is best for penetration through walls and structures. You can also upgrade antennas on some. I assume for an older couple, maximum performance will not be an issue? If their router is DD-WRT or tomato capable I'd try to install that on the router. Then find another older router, maybe someone can donate one? I am pretty sure I have a box full of them somewhere. With DD-WRT installed on both routers you can set one up as a range extender. Would be much more inexpensive. If that lags in performance, you could try instead setting up that second router as its own network and using a powerline adapter to set it out where there's no reception.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
I bought one of these and was very happy.

Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen Wireless Router / Range Extender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087NZ31S/ref...4xbTD88M2C
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
They have either FIOS or Cablevision.
I'll find out which & exactly what router they have.
My wife was there today & got some info...
They are using FIOS & have a router like we used to have.
I told her where to look on the router for the name & model number...so she took a blurry pic of it. Tongue  Big Grin
I think it's an Actiontec MI424 (or similar). 
bump...
I always had an issue with performance when using a range extender, but presumably performance isn't top priority in a church. Some very inexpensive options to try here.

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/9129087

I believe I have a couple around the house that I simply don't use. If I can round one of them up, I'd be happy to send it to you to see if it works for you.

I have one of these

TP-Link N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender (TL-WA850RE) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E98O7GC/ref...5xb36QE4RM

around the house that I have no use for I'd be glad to donate to the cause if you think it might help. It works fine for Web browsing and such, but didn't work for what I intended it for (streaming videos, gaming, etc...) if you want to give it a whirl let me know, if it doesn't work out you're not out anything, except maybe a shipping charge to send it back to me.

Thanks for the offer Scott.

I'm not sure what the Pastor is now planning...he just told my wife that he is thinking about getting a loan, so the entire church can be upgraded...everything upgraded.

They have a small pre-school that operates there in a large room, off of the Fellowship hall. It's run privately. They would like to expand it (they've mentioned it for a few years now) to a full day kindergarten & preschool...but the building is not up to the extra codes involved (ie..smoke alarms directly wired to the fire dept.) I'm sure if it's all upgraded, they will be able to wire the entire church for internet.

I know the Pastor would like to see the school expand, as it exposes more people to the church & it's offerings & also would bring in some extra money to the church. The church is original to the area...the land for it was given to them by Levit, when he built Levittown. I'm not sure when it was built, but I'm guessing early '50s and small additions added on over time....but nothing ever really planned out.