Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you clip your gars?
(08-21-2010, 09:13 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote:
(08-21-2010, 08:37 PM)wtfdic Wrote: +1 on the V cutter. I use one as much as possible. Any V cutter recommendations?

http://www.famous-smoke.com/hardwood+v+c...Ne=1000135
This is the one you want...

Thanks for the recommendation!
--Mike
(08-22-2010, 08:23 AM)Soulend Wrote:
(08-22-2010, 01:47 AM)ColbyPants Wrote: also, I cut torps and such on an angle, I forget who shared that nugget with me, but it works!

That's interesting, what does cutting them at an angle do? Better draw?

Yes better smoother draw without having to cut as far up the stogie.
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
(08-22-2010, 09:54 AM)ColbyPants Wrote:
(08-22-2010, 08:23 AM)Soulend Wrote:
(08-22-2010, 01:47 AM)ColbyPants Wrote: also, I cut torps and such on an angle, I forget who shared that nugget with me, but it works!

That's interesting, what does cutting them at an angle do? Better draw?

Yes better smoother draw without having to cut as far up the stogie.

I will have to give this a shot.
--Mike
Wow. Thanks for the bit of tidbit ColbyPants. I'm going to have to try that.
Tony
When you have walked in my shoes, done what I've done, seen what I've seen, then maybe you can criticize.
What I find happens is that with the slanted cut facing down, you are drawing the smoke right down onto your palate as opposed to straight back into your mouth, and especially with habano torps, I find I can detect more flavor notes than before.
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
Thanks for that tip, I'm going to have to try that!
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

That's the way I do it unless I punch.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

(08-22-2010, 01:47 AM)ColbyPants Wrote: ...also, I cut torps and such on an angle, I forget who shared that nugget with me, but it works!

Ah, the Dickman cut -- (no joke, google it). Not only does it give more surface area, but you can also use the angle to direct the smoke to the palate.

And back to the original post... I use my Palio most of the time - I do enjoy a proper guillotine cut. The thing that gets me is that I see a lot of people lop off a chunk of the head when they use one... I try to shave off between 1/32 and 1/16 of an inch. Any more than that and excessive pressure can be placed on the wrapper, causing cracking and/or unwrapping...
On the Dickman Cut, I see JR has a diagram where you are cutting past the cap into the barrel of the cigar:

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=jrcu_cutting

Is there ever a problem with the wrapper unravelling? Though I guess this would be less of a problem on torps and the like..
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

For the past two years I've been using the Xikar Mtx with no problems from a 54rg to 70rg !!!!! Stogiefacelarge