Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helpful info, even to the pros here :)
Figured I'd pass on some of the info that has been poured into my head, in relation to cigars of course. I work for Miami Cigar & Co. We are the first to get certified by  Tobacconist University, which is recognized by the IPCPR. (Hi-5 to myself for passing my exam with a 97) - yes we had an exam. No I didn't cheat. Im part Asian, we pass all our tests [lol]

I'll post up info as I think of it, and maybe (hopfully) it will help someone.  And please, if you have any questions about it, just ask! With that.. part 1:

The balance between Acidity and Alkalinity effects our lives in innumerable ways; from the environment, soil, and our bodies, to the food we eat and liquids we drink.

"pH" is a measure of Acidity and Alkalinity [of a solution] on a scale where 7 is neutral; lower numbers are more Acid (down to 0), and higher numbers are more Alkaline (up to 14).

Cigars are more Alkaline and cigarettes are more Acidic: this effects the consumption, nicotine absorption, and addictive differences between the two.

When it comes to luxury tobacco, pH monitoring is critical for the Soil and even the water used for Irrigation and Fermentations. But the greatest effects of pH do not come from the product itself, but rather, from your mouth. Your palate's (tongue, mouth, saliva) neutral setting is around 7. Lemon Juice is around 2, Tomatoes are around 4, and milk is around 6.5. Anything we consume will effect the pH level in our mouth, and subsequently, the way we perceive the Taste of a cigar or pipe tobacco.

Have you ever smoked a cigar you know is good, and it just tastes "off"? Usually we just blame the cigar maker, Tobacconist, or our humidor, but, maybe it wasn't the cigar. It is very likely that our mouth can be "off".

Fortunately, our mouths/palates have the ability to restore their neutrality within a short period of time. You can expedite this process by drinking water, milk, or eating plain bread, to bring your mouth closer to neutral.

If you just finished smoking a cigar and want another, you can eat a little lemon sorbet to restore some Acidity to your palate. Ultimately, maybe you like the contrasting Acidity of coffee with the Alkalinity of a cigar; if so  -great! But it is good to know the facts and be aware of how our senses can be biased.
I have been drinking alot of milk with my dinner lately and have been enjoying my smokes alot. hmmm    thanks for the info....good stuffWink
Thanks Sondra!  I get hungry when I smoke a cigar and to satisfy this I usually have a sandwich half way with a cigar at night.  Along with beer.

In Vegas I drank a LOT of water with the cigars.  All the cigars that day tasted great even with smoking 13 cigars the day before.
Do mojitos have any effect? Big Grin
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:Do mojitos have any effect? Big Grin

Casa Fuente was serving Rasberry Mojitos.  They went pretty well with cigars.  Then they switch to Watermelon Mojitos and yuck!  But in general I am down for the Mojito and cigar.  Or Mojo as Jimmie would say.
What a kick arse post!  Thanks Sondra!
Keep it comong Sondra. Thanks, helpful information.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Sondra, you just blew my mind, want to merry a broke college kid with  little money who will do dishesSmileWink.? I Figuered not, but I will ask you to keep that info comming, I heard you were a wealth of knowledge and that post is proof of that.

Gracias un chingo(thanks a million)
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
sergione Wrote:Sondra, you just blew my mind, want to merry a broke college kid with  little money who will do dishesSmileWink.? I Figuered not, but I will ask you to keep that info comming, I heard you were a wealth of knowledge and that post is proof of that.

Gracias un chingo(thanks a million)

Do you mean party?  Tongue

Anyways, hands off Trophy Mexican.  I found her first.
Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Looks like you are in the:

[Image: party-smiley-038.gif]