Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heartfelt Beads Question
Ok, so I got 1/2 pound of the beads and equipped my credo to hold them.  About 3 ounces in all in there.  My humi is about 12x8x7=672.  For some reason the calculator on the Heartfelt site doesnt work for me from any computer i've tried.  My question is.  If my humi is staying at 61%, and I want it at least at 63-64%, do I need more water on the beads or less?  Common sense would tell me more, but I want to be sure because they may be counter intuitive.

Thanks!

Mason
What is the room tempature? You may be experiencing the same thing a lot of us our. When the temp drops below 70 degrees, your humidity will also drop. I just add additional water in an extra bowl/glass. That seems to handle it. But I keep all but one of my boxes/coolers at 61-63%, so it's not an issue for me yet this year.
You may also want to add more the rest of your beads. The calculator on Heartfelts site is conservative (minimum). I keep several pounds of beads in my coolers, but I'm like the Tim Taylor of cigars and always think more is better.Big Grin
I live in AZ, so my temp isnt an issue.  Always around 71-74 degrees.  My humi is a 125 count which basically means about 100, and I have 96 in there now, so space is at an utter premium, so the water may not work.  So I will try to add a little more water to the beads.

I am waiting for the Antietam to come back in stock.  I am kicking myself for not ordering it when it was $315 with Oasis included.  Its back up to $399 I think.  Sad  Or until I find a decent place to store 10-15 boxes for under $400.  I need more space, which is basically what everyone told me would happen.  I would make a coolerdor, but I dont think that my significant other would go for it.

I have another humidor I am seasoning today.  It is OLD and I got it in college when I thought "wow that is a cool SHAPED humidor" (its a pyramid) and put no thought into how it would control humidity.  It does a TERRIBLE job but it will work for the short term.

Thanks!

Mason
To add to what DD offered, this year has been more difficult than normal since the weather has been mild and wet.

I keep my humidor in the basement where temp changes are not a huge impact.  This year it's been more of the rain and damp air that's moved my humidity the most.  Warmer, humid air followed by dry, cold air has been a bigger problem.  I'd be cautious about adding too much water if you get warm, humid spells for extended periods as you'll end up needing to dry the beads ouit.  If you can, and you have the a couple of humidification devices with the beads, add more water to one and not the other.  They recommend keeping the beads half clear and half white so they can both absorb and release moisture but I've always had trouble with that.  If you keep one "wetter" than the the other it should work in the same manner over a period of time.

I think above all else, DON'T PANIC!  It took a good month for the beads to stabilize along with the humidor in my case.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
you will need more of anything than most of us. The humidity in Az is non-existant. You get no help form the air and moisture will run out of your humidor into your room at every opertunity.
i live in colorado, very dry weather like az, which is where i grew up. and i'm actually having the same problem. my beads hold the humidity PERFECTLY at 61 percent, but i'm thinking my problem may have to do with temperature. it stays about 65 where i keep my humidor.
gentlemen... remember, if they smoke and store fine... YOU ARE DONE! just sit back and enjoy!
I appreciate all the advice, but I am new to being "back" to cigars and I have not had the humi more than 1 month.  It is a good humi and was holding 74% with the credo, but upon the advice of many, I bought beads as the tem is often 72-75.  Time will tell how they store, I just want to make sure I dont lose several hundred $ worth of cigars!

Confusedhock:

Mason
just out of curiosity, did you ever figure anything out? my beads are still holding at a PERFECT 61 percent. i've tried not opening the humi for days to see if it went up or anything, but no movement at all. i tried adding more beads, and again, no change. holding steady at 61. i wonder if i accidentally got shipped a half pound of 60 percent beads?