Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grow your own tobacco
I've see a few threads around the web where guys have tried to grow their own tobacco and make their own cigars. I don't think they had any high expectations, but very impressive to take on such a task. I think they are out of their mind, but a little jealous. Who has all that friggin time? Anyone consider or attempt this monumental task? I'll leave it up to the professionals.
There was a guy on this forum who did that . He posted pics a few years ago. The thread should be here somewhere. Heading into NY but I'll look for it later.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I've seen guys do that, but the problem is in the aging and curing... I've not had a cigar made with home-grown tobacco like that, but the reports that I have read have been... let's call them "less than favorable"

A few years back a private forum I was a member of got together and we bought some tobacco from overseas. The forum owner (from Texas) has a local roller use that tobacco with domestic wrappers and we had some different cigars made - robustos, coronas, and even a few short-filled"Fumas" from the excess tobacco cuttings.

It was one of the most interesting projects I've been involved in - and it was interesting to have Cuban filler and binder tobaccos mixed with domestic wrappers - I don't have my notes/reference handy, but I seem to remember at least Corojo and Sumatra wrappers used.