Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings from PA!
To Those at Stogie Chat,

My name is Pete, and I live in a town very close to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.  I'm nearly 33 years old, and despite growing up with friends and family members who smoke cigarettes, I never became a cigarette smoker.  My first experience with cigars began at age 16 when I became old enough to drive to the local horse racing track.  Friends and I would throw together our spare change and purchase whatever cigars our local convenience store had to offer, and proudly smoke our cigars at the track while wagering minimum bets.  I don't know that anyone really enjoyed the cigars, but it was something new for us, and doing it together as friends made it all worth while. In college I'd occasionally enjoy a few convenience store cigars (mostly Avanti) as a means to "unwind" with friends. Other than that... I was/am a "non-smoker", if you're into labels. My interest in cigars was always something that came in waves, and in most cases, was very short lived.

I am a long time member of a few wet shaving forums, where many "gentlemanly indulgences" other than traditional wet shaving are also discussed. The topic of cigars comes up often (not that cigars are by any means limited to being a "gentlemanly indulgence" - we LOVE the ladies!) and once again, the wave has hit! This time, it's excitingly different! The Internet allows me access to information that I would otherwise not have had access to when I was 16. A career allows me the resources to shop at tobacconists, rather than convenience stores - though I've not spent more than $5 on a cigar to-date.

Currently, I smoke only a cigar or two on the weekends.  I view it as a means of unwinding and celebrating the end of another work week. I just purchased my first humidor, and I am still purchasing cigars "by the stick", usually by recommendation.  I'm always open to recommendations!

My apologies for the lengthy first post.  Thank you for reading!

Sincerely,

-Pete
[welcome] to SC...
"HAVE LONGSHIP, WILL HERF!!!"
[welcome][rob]

So what cigars have you liked/disliked?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
     My experience with cigars (not those found in convenience stores) is very limited.  Right now, I'm a "weekend warrior" of sorts, in that I smoke only on the weekend.  Last weekend, I smoked a "Arturo Fuente Rothschild".  I found it enjoyable, but felt it lacked flavor.

This weekend, I smoked two cigars - a Punch Rare Corojo, and a Rocky Patel 1992.  I enjoyed both cigars, and would gladly smoke either of them again.   Unfortunately, my palate is inexperienced, and undiscerning to the subtleties in flavor from one cigar to the next.  In other words, I can tell you I prefered the Rocky Patel over anything I've tried so far, but I can't begin to offer an intelligent explanation as to why.

To date, I've not disliked any stick I've purchased from a tobacconist.  

-Pete 
Hey Pete,[welcome]from Nebraska
Pete Wrote:  Unfortunately, my palate is inexperienced, and undiscerning to the subtleties in flavor from one cigar to the next.  In other words, I can tell you I prefered the Rocky Patel over anything I've tried so far, but I can't begin to offer an intelligent explanation as to why.

Thats all a palate needs to tell you!

Welcome [welcome] to SC from Ohio, I bet you'll like it here. . .
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
Sounds like a great start to me. [welcome] from the land of Lincoln!
[welcome] from NJ. Your palate is fine and off to a good start. With time you will be reviewing cigars in the review section.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
ColbyPants Wrote:Thats all a palate needs to tell you!

Welcome [welcome] to SC from Ohio, I bet you'll like it here. . .
Quote:     Thank you!  I'd like to add that I've yet to smoke a bad cigar.  Every recommendation I've followed so far has yielded me a good smoke.  I've yet to smoke less than half a stick, and any cigar I've smoked thus far (excluding the convenience store/drug store variety) I'd glady smoke again, if that's any indication.  Right now, it's just a weekend thing for me... but I suspect many here started that way, too! Tongue 
welcome to Stogie Chat