Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gobble gobble its getting close to Turkey Day
Lets talk turkey. I'm thinking about smoking a couple this year for Turkey Day. Has anyone found a tried and true way of smoking turkey? Brine or no brine? Keep it simple or get creative with the seasonings?

mmm Turkey!
--Mike
I'm going to deep fry for the first time this year
No Justice, No Peace!
I have deep fried before and you cant really go wrong with that. It sure tastes good.

I think I am going to do a test run one Brined and the other just smoked and see what I like.
Let us know how the test runs turn out.
I like smoking lightning
Bailey Brined Turkey on the smoker is the way to go. If you dont brine be sure to put a layer of bacon over the top. The fat will keep it moist. I have a great brine recipe for smoked turkey. If I can find it Ill post it up.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Sounds awesome. I love fried and smoked turkey but we just do the traditional roasted one every year.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

Turkey Brine

1.5 gallons water
1.5 cups Kosher Salt
3 tsp Garlic Powder
3 tsp Onion Powder
3 tsp Cajun Spice
1/3 cup Sugar

Brine for atleast 24 hours

Rub

1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 TBS Sweet Paprika
4 tsp Pepper
2 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp Celery Salt
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Cayenne
1 tsp Mustard Powder

Basting Sauce

1/2 cup Real Maple Syrup
1 stick Butter

Baste after 2 hours of smoking.
Baste 4-5 more times while smoking
Cook to 170*
Rest, slice, serve

Its delicious!
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Mark...that looks good!

What temp do you keep your smoker at? And any idea on appox how long to smoke the bird?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I usually run mine from 250-275. A whole turkey will prob take anywhere from 8-10 hours depending on size. Ill lusually do Turkey Breasts and you can bang those out in about 3-4 hours.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"