Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global warming / Ozone hole?
Am I missing something here?

Industry was forced to stop using anything with CFC's in order to fix the Ozone hole that we "created".   Now they are saying that the hole in the Ozone was actually helping cool the planet.   Once the Ozone hole is fixed then global warming will be even worse!    WTF???    Lets bring back CFC's and cool the world a bit and solve it.   Sorta makes you wonder if the hole in the Ozone layer was the earths "natural" response to balance things and we made it worse by stopping it.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/01/21/eco.warmingantarctic/index.html
"A major reason most of Antarctica was thought to be cooling was because of a hole in the ozone layer that appears during the spring months in the Southern Hemisphere's polar region.
Steig noted that it is well established that the ozone hole has contributed to cooling in East Antarctica.

"However, it seems to have been assumed that the ozone hole was affecting the entire continent when there wasn't any evidence to support that idea, or even any theory to support it," he said.

"In any case, efforts to repair the ozone layer eventually will begin taking effect and the hole could be eliminated by the middle of this century. If that happens, all of Antarctica could begin warming on a par with the rest of the world."
so we get to chose between starvation and cancer?
I think the cancer is more from all the artificial crap we ingest versus damage from UV rays coming through the Ozone layer.

http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/uscs/Table.aspx?Group=3f&Year=2004&Display=n
http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/uscs/Table.aspx?Group=3f&Year=2004&Display=n

While melanomas of the skin are ranked in the middle for both men and women, its still a very small percent of eating and breathing complications.

Still, you are right.... we get to choose our fate in some way I guess.   I would rather still eat and have to wear a coat and sunglasses!  [smokin]
It just goes to show just how "smart" these environmental gurus really are.  These were probably the same morons who thought a smog pump on your vehicle will help the air quality - All they did was add more drag to the engine causing more fuel consumption - the friggin' thing pumps air into the exhaust - you are still releasing the same amount (or more with the drag) of harmful exhaust as before - just now there is fresh air being pumped into it as well - making it all better...    [mad1]
Tons of science is just political junk statement.  Lets review some of my favorite scientific "absolute indisputable truths"

Global Cooling is going to kill us. (1960-1970's)
Acid Rain is going to kill us (1980's)
Butter is horrible for you. Eat Margarine (1980's)
Margarine is horrible for you. Eat Butter (1990's)
The Avocado Diet will make you lose tons of weight (1996)
Global Warming is going to kill us (1990's - 2007)
Global Climate Change is going to kill us (2008-current)

Seriously.  Just live and enjoy it.    Think of environmentalism as "Carbon Control" the same way you would look upon proponents of "Gun Control".    Its not about Carbon.  Its not about Guns.  Its all about Control.

Why have we lost some brave astronauts in space?  Why do we have to perform a spacewalk to look for damaged tiles on the underbelly of the space shuttle after takeoff?

If you guessed "Because the OLD foam we used was 100% effective, but had CFC's in it so it was replaced with a less safe, less effective mixture" you win.  Have a cigar!
Vitamin G Wrote:Tons of science is just political junk statement.  Lets review some of my favorite scientific "absolute indisputable truths"

Seriously.  Just live and enjoy it.    Think of environmentalism as "Carbon Control" the same way you would look upon proponents of "Gun Control".    Its not about Carbon.  Its not about Guns.  Its all about Control.

Why have we lost some brave astronauts in space?  Why do we have to perform a spacewalk to look for damaged tiles on the underbelly of the space shuttle after takeoff?

If you guessed "Because the OLD foam we used was 100% effective, but had CFC's in it so it was replaced with a less safe, less effective mixture" you win.  Have a cigar!
VitG, your growing on me[thumbsup]
Vitamin G Wrote:Tons of science is just political junk statement.  Lets review some of my favorite scientific "absolute indisputable truths"

sniff.....sniff..............I smell a carbon tax.[potofgold]