Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS - Garmin 680
I am thinking about purchasing a GPS unit and I have been doing quite a bit of research.  Curious to see if anyone else has this model as this is the one that I think I will go with, although I am still searching.  Also, I have looked at the TomTom 720 and the Magellan 4050 and 4250.
I had and loved the magellan roadmate 1000.

It's a few years old now and my GF uses it as my car came equipped. But the add-on unit had tons more features than my 5-times-the-price infiniti unit.

I have an e-mail pending with Deb for the exact make and model. The new units put that one to shame too (I especially like the blue-tooth phone hook-up)
I have the garmin 660 it has bluetooth for handsfree calling, voice recognition, audio player, currency converter, runs on batteries in case you are on vacation and want to take it with you on foot or on moped. Very happy with it, a new one comes out ever six months. I bought four of them from this company and had very good luck. if uyou scroll down the page gives you a comparison of all the options for the garmins. http://www.gpsnow.com/garmin_nuvi_760.htm click on add to cart to find out the real prices.

Here is another great review page

http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/garmin-nuvi-660/4540-3430_7-32078943-4.html?tag=sub
I have a pretty decent application on my Blackberry and use it all the time.  I had a handheld Garmin years ago and loved it, it wasn't even in color but it did the trick.
it's all a matter of personal preference and no matter what you get you will love it.

Not to knock the Garmin, they make a great unit, I think the Magellan roadmate has more useful features.

As I said, I paid around $1,000 for my portable Magellan. My GPS in my car cost nearly 10 grand. The Magellan was better. Little things I would not have noticed had I only had the Infinity unit. For instance, the infiniti unit is tied into my radio. It lowers the radio when it has something to say. Cool. Except, when on a highway over 30% of the exits are perceived to be a fork in the road. So like any decent navigator the infiniti unit lowers the radio and warns me to "stay to the left at the fork ahead" EVERY DAMN MINUTE! And it says everything twice, once 1/4 to go, then again right on top of it. I never get to listen to the radio!

The Magellan only did this for unusual exits. Such as an exit on the left or a multi-lane exit ramp... and of course all forks which you truly want to hear this info.

The Magellan had different voices. And had a verbose and a quick talk mode. My Inifniti only has 1 annoying voice and says what can be said in 3 words in no less than 10 words! GRRR...

My Magellan had the ability to say the commands once, twice or 0 times. I have an on and off switch.

They both have volume (and my cars volume goes up with my speed, a nice feature). My Magellan had a "Nav Mode" that gave you lat/lon, road names and other vitals like current speed and tome to go, eta, etc. My car only has the map mode.

I think the car one is made by Garmin.

Still, I could not live without it!
I have a pretty inexpensive model - the TomTom ONE XL-S, and I love it.  It does a great job, and speaks the actual street names, which was the only feature I really wanted.

I would never take a road trip without it.

Whatever you buy, make sure you can update it via disk, USB or something.    I got a unit for $160 and love it (don't recall the model).   It works great, but I now found out that there is no way to update it.   It has a memory card in the side, so maybe there will be some update in the future.   Of course the main roads don't change much, but some areas are really booming (State College, PA) and in a matter of 2-3 years it will do little good in such areas on the residential level.
all of mine have update capabilities, I never used it. The roads don't change that often. The new stores that I may want to look up aren't that important. The updates are expensive too.
Wow, a lot of great advice.  I just got a blackberry last weekend and it has the navigator with it which is nice, but it's like $15 a month and I'd rather take that money and buy an actual unit.

The garmin 660 looked nice and I think the 680 had an extra option or two
I looked at the tomtom xls which seemed good also
and magellan had a couple nice units

I don't want to go out and spend a grand on one of these though, it's always fun doing some shopping.
check cosco & BJ's or sams club. A slightly outdated model (still years ahead of both of mine) for a great price