Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fumigating Cigars?

From Cigar.com

Q: I've heard some manufacturers fumigate their cigars before shipment. Is this safe?

A: Indeed. Almost 90% of all manufacturers put their cigars through a process to keep insects, mostly tobacco beetles, from destroying their blends. Unfortunately, like all plants, tobacco serves not only as a home but also as food to many different types of insects. Before the cigars are shipped for distribution, some manufacturers freeze the tobacco, which rids the cigars of any pests including tobacco beetles. These insects can eat through a box of cigars in about two days and therefore this process is definitely necessary. Other manufacturers prefer fumigating their cigars before shipment. Since this process utilizes a gas and not a vapor to rid the cigars of any unwanted pests, it evaporates and dissipates quickly, leaving no residue. Each fumigation process differs from factory to factory, but none of them harm or taint the cigars since the gases used are odorless, flavorless, and do not saturate the sticks.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
 I knew abou the freezing but not fumigating
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
Interesting. I had no idea.

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
I've heard a little about this, but I thought it was on the aging leafs, before they were rolled.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
no idea wow is it safe
I started the sit down video.....The Transporter!!
I always wondered how cigar fumigation was done. Where I work they used to get tree nuts in from south America and they would gas them with cyanide to kill the spiders and stuff before processing.
Most toxins used on insects are nerve gasses invented in the 60's by the defense department. As such it has a short shelf life. Activated by air, most will degenerate to safe levels in 24 hours and completely harmless within 4 days to 2 weeks. Dioxin, a broad spectrum agent is of this type and is frequently used on tobacco in gas form.

Once again we can thank man's desire to kill other men efficiently.
I don't know about cigars,but you better fumigate the bathhroom when I'm done. [doh][ROTF]
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:Most toxins used on insects are nerve gasses invented in the 60's by the defense department. As such it has a short shelf life. Activated by air, most will degenerate to safe levels in 24 hours and completely harmless within 4 days to 2 weeks. Dioxin, a broad spectrum agent is of this type and is frequently used on tobacco in gas form.

Once again we can thank man's desire to kill other men efficiently.
All that stuff....and we still can get beetles...:?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
good point Tonto!

I'm with ya too, if they are killed yet appear (lucky it hasn't happened to my stash) what causes them to appear? :?