Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuente Fuente Opus X Perfexion No. 5
Fuente Fuente Opus X Perfexion No. 5
[/b][size=2]Dominican [/size]Republic
Petite Corona
4 7/8 x 40

[size=2]I saw this cigar in the Brokeback box pass, and being one of my favorite cigars, I could not pass it up.  Despite being the most diminutive regular production Opus X, this cigar is full of both flavor and strength.  It’s a real firecracker [/size]of a cigar.

The cigar itself is perfectly made.  It has a great looking Colorado Rosado wrapper that is nearly flawless with a triple seam cap.  This cigar had suffered from a slight crack in the wrapper from the foot to around 3/8th inch up, but it had turned out, it was of no consequence.  It has the classic Opus X pre-light aroma – the sweet raisin smell found in no other cigar, except a Casa Fuente. 

[size=2]The cigar is strong right off of the bat.  Strong tobacco flavors with notes of spice, pepper with that raisin sweetness in the background.   As I smoke the cigar down, it becomes slightly sweeter, but also stronger.  I can start to feel the strength of the cigar about 1/3 of the way into it.  The spiciness and peppery flavors maintain throughout.  With a third to go, the cigar is still going very nicely.  Strong flavors still going, without a hint of bitterness and the strength has picked up again.[/size]

[size=2]The cigar burns and draws very well.  It also gives off a lot of smoke, especially for a small slow burning cigar.  The ash was almost all white and was a bit flaky, but the core of the ash was firm.  This cigar had almost went out on me, which I find somewhat common with most Opus, when I let it sit for several minutes.  This was my only complaint about this cigar.[/size] 

Don’t let the size fool you.  It’s probably one of the strongest Opus sizes being made.  Perhaps the xXx Power ranger is a bit stronger.  The power and flavor of the Opus has a lot to do with the Rosado wrapper.  The smaller size and ring gives this cigar a lower ratio of wrapper to filler, unlike the larger and fatter sizes, with the exception of the xXx, which I find to be medium in body and strength, at most.  Highly recommended.

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
Again, a great review Mike.  I have found this to be neck and neck with the Reserve d'Chateau as my favorite Opus X but for completely different reasons.  The 5 seems to be exactly as you described, a little firecracker of flavor and power that if you're not careful can knock you on your arse.

Great review.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Great review, Mike!  The #5 is my all-time favorite Opus.  I wish I could get more, but the local shops rarely get them in.  When they do, I'm all over them.
Great review!!!
Great review!
I love this size now and then when I want more flavor,less stregnth.It is strong like you said but doesnt taste as if it is,in other words I feel I can taste more flavors then stregnth.

I also recently got into the cigar of the year....a nice big one I thought wouldnt be as strong but damn it was good n strong.....very spicey at first,way more than the other sizes which I recently started likeing.I used to hate that spice taste.

Thanks
I think the #5 might have caught the # 2 as my favoite Opus X. An awesome cigar.
Great review Mike you hit it square on. the one I have had was fantastic.  A nice full bodied cigar.
great review and a fantastic smoke!
Good review, Mikey. But I have to say, I haven't cared for the Opuses I've had, granted I've only had a couple, a Power Ranger and a Lancero(?). Perhaps I just wasn't attuned to their unique flavors? or maybe, I should try a different size? But I just didn't taste anything that justified the price to me.
Rothschild Wrote:Good review, Mikey. But I have to say, I haven't cared for the Opuses I've had, granted I've only had a couple, a Power Ranger and a Lancero(?). Perhaps I just wasn't attuned to their unique flavors? or maybe, I should try a different size? But I just didn't taste anything that justified the price to me.

Not everyone likes them.  from what Ive seen people either love them or hate them... have seen very few inbetween. 

Jesse, if you dont like them that much, then save your money and get stuff you do like...
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]