Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing burn issues
Forgive my ignorance, as that is why I'm here.  What do you guys do to correct uneven burns?  I don't get to smoke with experienced cigar smokers to get these questions answered.

Also, I'm currently using wood matches to do my lighting.  Currently I sort of rotate the cigar above the flame to get the outside a bit charred, then I hold the flame a little bit away and draw to light the center. 

How would my lighting change if I were to invest in a torch?
i am not any expert but i just touch it up with a lighter.  just a little to help correct the burn.  also when i buy single cigars i feel them for soft spots that may cause uneven burn.

we have a threes company of noobs has i am one too..lol but what find helps is every few minutes i rotate the cigar when taking hits.. and usually that works..if it doesnt i light the part thats not lit and that will solve it..but i always rotate first when taking pulls..

[user=1459]nocsious[/user] wrote:
Quote:Forgive my ignorance, as that is why I'm here.  What do you guys do to correct uneven burns?  I don't get to smoke with experienced cigar smokers to get these questions answered.

Also, I'm currently using wood matches to do my lighting.  Currently I sort of rotate the cigar above the flame to get the outside a bit charred, then I hold the flame a little bit away and draw to light the center. 

How would my lighting change if I were to invest in a torch?
Id buy a torch bro, then you can fix the uneven burn with the torch as you go along. Alot of times the cigar evens its burn out on its own, just depends on how unever your talkin, and quailty of cigar. I light my sticks by torchin the foot intill its all evenly lite, then drawing off it. i dont draw with the torch up to the cigar at all, alot of guys do, but its more of a matter of richaual for me than anything. Im sure you will get a bunch of different anwsers or opinions to this question but thats my .02. Hope it helps. O yeah, I dont get many problems with uneven burnin the method I use..
denali7432 Wrote:we have a threes company of noobs has i am one too..lol but what find helps is every few minutes i rotate the cigar when taking hits.. and usually that works..if it doesnt i light the part thats not lit and that will solve it..but i always rotate first when taking pulls..

i also think rotating the cigars helps when i smoke. specially when sent under a ac vent or outside where there is a breeze.

The easiest and surest fix is just to touch it up with your torch (which can be had for less than $10).  Rotating it during the smoke and avoiding any severe wind is probably the best way to prevent burn problems.  My advice, though, is to not worry about it unless it gets really out of hand.  I went through a stage where I watched the burn continuously for any imperfections.  It really drove me crazy and wrecked my enjoyment of the sticks, because almost every cigar has at least a little unevenness.  Concentrate on the flavor and don't sweat the small stuff.

Brad
I rotate to keep breezes from causing uneven burns and I touch up with a torch if it gets too bad. Some well constructed cigars will correct themselves, so I'm not in a hurry to help it, I wait to see if it'll heal on its own.

Here's my favorite torch. It's a jeweler's portable. It comes out of the little stand and it doesn't heat up at all when burning. You can lock the flame on or use it like a lighter. The cap is attached with a chain.

Attached Files Image(s)

You have the answer, torch & rotate.

From the Stogie review: off site articles from Doc.

http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/Cigar_Journal/Featured_Articles/Entries/2007/4/13_The_Burning_Question%3A_Part_One.html

http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/Cigar_Journal/Featured_Articles/Entries/2007/4/21_The_Burning_Question%3A_Part_Two.html

http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/Cigar_Journal/Featured_Articles/Entries/2007/4/27_The_Burning_Question%3A_Part_Three.html

They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I always touch my burn up with a torch.  Somewhat anal about it too
i rarely touch it up. i don't know why. probably because i light my cigar away from where i smoke it (weird, i know). but i've found that putting the slower burning side of the cigar to the bottom, where it can get more oxygen, helps. as does a little dab of spit on the faster burning side. but if it gets too serious, i have to institute the help of some flame, but it's rare.