Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixed Blade Hunting Knife - Advice Requested
Good Lord, do you plan on scaring the deer to death? :p

JK- I like big knives too. I carry a big ol' scubapro knife strapped to my leg when I dive.

Attached Files
.bmp   dive knife.bmp (Size: 31.76 KB / Downloads: 73)
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.
-Jimmy Buffett
That sure enough is an evil-looking knife, congratulations and I hope it works out well for you. You're probably going to wind up gripping the blade serrations so I hope you wear gloves. I find a blade of that size for dressing out game to be absurdly clumsy. Unless you have some elephant-sized deer following the curvature of the rib cage is going to be a b!tch.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

(11-05-2010, 05:53 PM)Soulend Wrote: That sure enough is an evil-looking knife, congratulations and I hope it works out well for you. You're probably going to wind up gripping the blade serrations so I hope you wear gloves. I find a blade of that size for dressing out game to be absurdly clumsy. Unless you have some elephant-sized deer following the curvature of the rib cage is going to be a b!tch.

They're BIG in Missouri! Big Grin

I have the Aura Hunting Knife with the gut-hook as well. This one is when I need to cut through bone Big Grin (Or scare the deer as was mentioned Big Grin )
They certainly have to bigger than down here, the deer in this area look like German Shephards with antlers. Big Grin
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

I live in Florida, and was shocked when they told me that what I was seeing was a full-grown buck. Your description is accurate of those as well, and where I'm hunting in MO, the smallest does would whip the buck in NW Florida. All part of the nutrients they're not getting in that area.
I always wondered if climate had something to do with it as well. There are exceptions, but hotter places just seem to have smaller deer.

As far as the knife, I wasn't so much talking about cutting through bone (I use a saw for this myself), but getting between the hide and the ribcage. I just can't get into tighter spaces with an acute enough angle with a big-@ss knife.
- Robert E. Howard

(11-06-2010, 08:20 AM)Soulend Wrote: I always wondered if climate had something to do with it as well. There are exceptions, but hotter places just seem to have smaller deer.

Could very well be right. My prior post regarding the nutrients was what some hunters were telling me who hunted in FL and MO...but they're by no means experts. Now you've got me wondering...
Well, if you get one of those El Monstro MO deer be sure to post pics! Smile
- Robert E. Howard

I've been told I have to paint my face with the blood of the first kill, so Doe or Buck, the blood will be on me! Big Grin

Seriously, I hope we each get one of each and are able to put away plenty for the winter. The primary focus, however, will be to spend some time with Mom and Dad...which of course will be SO much more enjoyable if we bag a few! Big Grin
Sog are a great Top of line Knife

http://sogknives.com/store/FSA-8.html THese are my daily Pocket knifes

http://sogknives.com/store/TF-2.html