Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First review, SLR A's
SLR A:

Box of 25 dated May '08.

Paired with a Northern English Brown homebrew.

Pre-lit aroma was on the weaker side compared with others in the humidor.  Had a slight barnyard type aroma but nothing inspiring.  The color was on the lighter side with some smaller veins present in the wrapper.  Construction looked good but had a firm feel.

Lighting it up, initially I got a astringent bitter taste mixed with some woodiness.  That let up substantially after about a half inch and the stick calmed down, but that taste still remained in the background.  It burned mostly nice and true.  I started getting some nice earthiness and toasted wood as the smoke progressed.  The draw remained a bit firmer than I would have liked.  I never tasted any fruit or gingerbread that some have described.  I was halfway done when a 2.5 inch ash crashed to the pavement leaving a little cone with a nice veiw of the binder and wrapper. 

In the last third it went out and I decided not to relight.  Not inspiring, not bad as I think they need some time to sleep and see if some more interesting flavors come to the front.  I'd give it 6 out of 10.

Nice Review.  Thanks[cigar]
Yes thanks, always good reading your stuff.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Thanks for sharing, its always fun to read people's reviews [thumbsup]
SLR A?   Is this a Camacho? 
Saint Luis Rey "A" as in not from the mainland but from a little island south of Miami.
These should mellow out nicely with some edge - it will lose the bitterness, but the woodiness will remain and evolve...

Thanks for the great review!