Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario - Toro
First, it was good to be able to finally take a break and have some time "for myself" so using the "moki's tasting wheel" and what affects the enjoyment of a cigar, that might have had something to do with the following review.

Now that the disclaimers are aside...

This was one beautiful cigar.  From the bands to the wrapper, everything was perfect in appearance.  You can tell the additional care that is given with the preparation of this cigar.  That in itself caused everything to start off on "the right foot."

Traditionally, I have clipped my cigars, but with recent mid-ring gauge cigars, I have gone back to the punch.  For this cigar, that was the right choice IMO.

The pre-light draw felt good.  I little more firm than some I've smoked, but nothing to cause the mind to wonder "...is this going to be good?"

I used my Colibri lighter with the Lava butane.  FWIW, if I'm not using matches, I want Lava...just seems cleaner than the others.  If it had not been for "user error" the light would have been perfect Smile but that's just me.  I was excited to have the opportunity to smoke it outside in near-pristine conditions.  Temps dropping, but still in the 60s.

The cigar began to immediately reward me with full-bodied flavor and lots of smoke.  Hard for me to pinpoint, but definitely a cedar flavor at the start with the hints of spiciness in the background.  Nothing overpowering but certainly strong.

I quickly found that this is a cigar that must be smoked a bit more slowly than my traditional Pepin, Tats or even my more recent GoF.  I started off drawing it a bit more quickly than advisable and had a few hiccups.  Backing off on the intensity leveled that out immediately.  The spice picked up a bit throughout the cigar at the mid-point which brought another smile to my face.  It's always a pleasure smoking a cigar like this that varies throughout and you wonder what's around the next draw.

Around the last 1/3 of the cigar, it smoothed out again to be a very relaxing blend of cedar and spice, pretty much a "toss-up" of which was more prominent.

This was certainly a "nubber" that would keep my coming back for more.  While priced around that of the Padron 80th...and a bit harder to find...it is more along the taste profile of what I'm looking for in that range.

This is a cigar that if you have the opportunity to smoke, I would recommend you try.  If you have a bundle of these, they would probably improve even more with a few years on them.  (As hard as that is to imagine.)  I think that this opinion might come from the fact I had the pleasure of smoking a 2005 GoF last month and it's still in my recent memory as one of THE best cigars...and this one would be right behind that one.

MANY thanks to my friend for gifting me this one to try...you have broadened my palate once again!
Awesome job on the review and the friend that gave it to you. I have some GOFs I still have never smoked. How do they compare?

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

tafdom Wrote:Awesome job on the review and the friend that gave it to you. I have some GOFs I still have never smoked. How do they compare?
In my opinion they don't compare.  the Edicion is by far the best non Cuban cigar I have ever smoked.
fishhound Wrote:
tafdom Wrote:Awesome job on the review and the friend that gave it to you. I have some GOFs I still have never smoked. How do they compare?
In my opinion they don't compare.  the Edicion is by far the best non Cuban cigar I have ever smoked.
The GoF that I smoked last month was the Dbl Robusto from 2005 and it was outstanding.  IMO I would rate it just above this one...and that could possibly be due to the aging of it a couple years longer.  I think the GoF was even better, but then again I might need to do them back - to - back to make an accurate comparison!

If your GoF are at least a year or two old, I'd pull one out and enjoy it. Big Grin  
 Good review. The stick sounds very good and right up my alley. Maybe one day I will treat myself.
Great review, MA.  You should post some more reviews.

Terry, do us all a favor, smoke one of the GOFs and give us a review please.  I have only had one so far and it was a treat.
GOF?  Never heard of that one.  This is what I like and dislike about Stogie Chat.  I never hear about it, hence, I want to go out and find one, only to be about 50 cigars in the hole that I have yet to try sitting around in my humidor.

The review--great in depth review.  It was relaxing just reading what you had to say.  Makes me want to go get a good dark beer and start the weekend a few hours early.
gof1

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

gof2

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Damn abbreviations.  I know God of Fire!  Tongue