Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Post Office Tracking Suddenly Suck?
I buy stuff in online auctions all the time.  Not cigar stuff, but hardware, electronics parts, bike stuff, etc.  For the past several months, whenever I get a USPS tracking number, the tracking web site always just says "Electronic Shipping Info Received", and never says anything about when it's going to be delivered, or where the package currently is.  Lately that's all it says right up until it's sitting in my mailbox.  It doesn't even indicate that they've received the package.  Does this happen to everyone?  Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose of tracking?
It's always been the same deal with me usps tracking.
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
USPS doesn't track packages, just confirms delivery.
wingo Wrote:USPS doesn't track packages, just confirms delivery.

Yeah, thats right & when they say "2-3 day priority" service....its not guaranteed either.

When I need to really track it, step by step, I use UPS. Usually takes longer and cost twice as much, but you know where it is, step by step through the whole trip & when& where it was delivered.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
prority mail has always been way off for me and the tracking gives no clue where the bomb is at.

I think I bamed Rob for thisBig Grin

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
sergione Wrote:I think I bamed Rob for thisBig Grin
Cool.  At least there's a reasonable explanation for it.  And I thought it was just one of those arbitrary rip-offs.
Before 9/11 the online system would show the major post office terminals along the way.   However, for safety reasons, they decided to do away with all that.

Also, the vendors who use the electronic shipping method generate the barcode & shipping label online.  They print it and then apply it to the package.   That package may not actually get to the post office for another day or two, depending on how efficient the company is.    The post office assigned a number to the package, but never actually received it yet.   That is another reason why you get a non-working shipping code at first.

UPS is terrible with packages.   used them for a while at first and for every 100 packages, 2 would be lost....5 would be damaged....and several took 10+ days to arrive.    I have friends who work for UPS and I know that not everyone is bad in the company, but outside of better tracking I was never impressed by their shipping standards and what they consider "acceptable damage" in shipping.  :?
YES, it sucks!

But, I always figure it helps to deter PO theft. If the package can be traced, then maybe someone will be less likely to take it home!
yes, i believe its ridiculous. i guess i understand why they do it, but sometimes i'll look at a package and it'll say shipping info received, so i go to my post office expecting nothing, and there it is. the next day i'll track it again, and it'll say it was processed and left denver the day before, which is the same day it got to me. sometimes it will say it was processed and left denver, and i won't see it for another 3 days. i have no idea.