Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do mild body seem more bitter?
Everyone...
Is it just me or do most mild body cigars seem more bitter them med to full bodied
The only mild bodied I ever seemed to like have been CAO gold and Torano Casa (and maybe park Ave by Gurkha years ago)
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
They may be bitter because you are smoking them faster, harder? Trying to get some more flavor.
No Justice, No Peace!
(09-21-2012, 06:39 AM)nayslayer Wrote: They may be bitter because you are smoking them faster, harder? Trying to get some more flavor.

+1
That's an excellent point.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
They are. The stronger cigars are made from leaves that are more ripe. They stay on the plant longer not only gaining strength but sugars which plants make from sunlight. Milder leaves are generally less ripe and like a piece of fruit can be more bitter. There are exceptions to this, namely plants that have been cultivated to be stronger or sweeter, but this is the general rule with plants in general.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
Both points seem to make sense.

I guess I just need more flavor, my favorite wines are usually made of extremely ripe grapes, they tend to be a bit sweeter.

I really like Gamay too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamay
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
(09-21-2012, 07:33 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: They are. The stronger cigars are made from leaves that are more ripe. They stay on the plant longer not only gaining strength but sugars which plants make from sunlight. Milder leaves are generally less ripe and like a piece of fruit can be more bitter. There are exceptions to this, namely plants that have been cultivated to be stronger or sweeter, but this is the general rule with plants in general.

Especially since the wrapper adds a significant amount of the "flavor" to a cigar. So not a fan of a Connecticut wrapper that ain't maduro.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
I think that a well-crafted cigar can be blended in such a way that the bitterness in minimized or eliminated. There is a lot of finesse and care that go into a milder cigar, and this can bring an amazing depth and complexity if it is done well. And the milder tobaccos are less forgiving with errors of blending or batch variance. One thing that I have noticed is that the cigar is even a little on the wet side, it can bring out some bitterness.