Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desperately Seeking Ceder
(02-21-2012, 02:24 PM)cigarlover23 Wrote: I'm looking to try new cigars does anyone know of any good ones I should try?

Well you could try not hijacking a thread...Just a thought.
--Mike
I use a wine fridge as well, and love it!
I bought thin pieces of Spanish cedar and cut them to fit inside my fridge. I roughed up the inside with sandpaper and glued the cedar in with wood glue.
I left the existing shelves in place and I haven't had any issues whatsoever.
I think an active humidifier would be overkill. I use a combination of beads and gel in mine, but it doesn't take much. I ended up removing a bunch of beads because it seals so well and holds humidity really well.
One word of caution: if you will be cutting and/or sanding your Spanish cedar make sure your wearing a good quality breathing mask. If you inhale any of the dust it is really bad for you!
Good luck and make sure you post pictures when you're done!
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
We had a member that made awesome inserts for wine coolers. As usual I forget his name but found his site. Amazing custom work. http://wineadors.com/index.html

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

I spoke to a guy from the Nub Live forum (Craig) on Friday and he told me that he found a place in Arizona that had very good prices on Cedar. Might wanna try over there.
This guy makes some really nice stuff for wine friges. I havent heard anything for a while, but a few years ago the word was it took a long time to get your stuff. By the looks of the product it would be worth the wait.

http://www.chasidorhumidors.com/index.php
I like smoking lightning
I think Discdog might have some info on getting the wood. Send him a PM.

Also, the cedar you want, IIRC, is Spanish cedar....not the regular cedar. Someone please double check me.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
You are right Jan. Spanish cedar, not regular old cedar.

I like smoking lightning
Jan is also correct about DiscDog. I knows alot about this subject.
--Mike
Thanks for all the info guys. Love the pics! Makes me really excited to get started. I was planning on trying to replicate as closely as possible the style of drawers you seen that come in humis. we'll see.

One thing I worry about is that the cooler I'm eying up has a max temp of 65 deg. I would like to think this is ok. I know I mentioned 68 in my initial post, and was assured that would be fine, but now I'm a bit worried again about the lower temp.

I was planning on going with a 20 bottle cooler. Any bigger and I'll bankrupt myself filling the bastard!

Still some ways off, but I'll detail my project as it unfolds!

Thanks again!
It says max temp of 65 but the key is what temp does it actually get to when on. Mine had a max temp of 65 and when set to 65 stayed around 68.
--Mike